Castile (freestanding) smoking from Ash drawer.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EmGee

Nov 13, 2013
USA
I have a Castile that has been sitting idle for several years.

First, the backstory:
I gave it a thorough cleaning, put new batteries in the remote, plugged it in and it started immediately. It seemed to be running well, but when I turned the thermostat down, it did not shut off. Apparently the remote (with new batteries) wasn’t communicating with the transmitter (Smart Batt II). I checked the battery compartment in the transmitter and the batteries had been left in it and were corroded. I cleaned the contacts, and went through the syncing routine, but it still didn’t work. I have ordered a replacement Smart Stat II, which plugs into a wall outlet, and should have it in a few days. I hope that this solves the problem with the stove not shutting down, because otherwise, I will need to schedule a repair. Moving on…

The next issue was how to shut the stove off manually. Apparently you can’t. Unplugging it is not recommended, which makes sense. Part of powering it down is to make sure it has cooled enough not to damage the electronics. So I scooped the pellets out of the hopper, and let it run the pellets out of the auger, knowing that this would cause it to shut down on it’s own. When I restart it, I assume that I will need to hit the retsart button a few times in order for the auger to refill.

When the flame died down, and the stove glass was not too hot to touch, I assumed that the stove was sufficiently cooled down enough to unplug. That was the only way I could figure out how to ‘manually’ shut it down.

The issue in the subject line:
At this point, I noticed a little smoke coming from the hole in the ash drawer where the latch is. My question is whether the ash drawer door gasket needs replaced, or possibly the firepot gasket, or is something else causing a trickle of smoke to come out of there? There shouldn’t have been any smoldering pellets in the ash tray.

I also noted, when cleaning it out, that there were a lot of clinkers in the firepot, and when I got it all scraped out of there, the clean out handle pulled out easier than it ever has before. At the time, I thought this was a good thing, but maybe now, I wonder if it might need to be tightened up some how? The blade seems to go back into place, no gaps, and nothing feels loose, so I hope this is not the issue.

Has the combustion fan stopped when you unplugged the stove?

Ya, you should not have unplugged stove.
You can lift hopper lid to shut off stove, the hopper switch will shut off auger, and the stove will go into shut down.

Reactions: VintageGal
Ya, you should not have unplugged stove.
You can lift hopper lid to shut off stove, the hopper switch will shut off auger, and the stove will go into shut down.
I have never noticed a switch to shut off the hopper, only the pellet feed adjustment mechanism.
My searching online did not reveal a way to shut down the stove without using the thermostat, but maybe I asked the wrong question.
If someone could post a picture, or describe what it looks like and where it is, so I could locate it, I would really appreciate that!

I am not living in the house atm, so I couldn't check right away, but could check next time I am there.

Thank you Mt Bob.
I misspoke, I meant the auger, not the hopper. I had never noticed before that the auger stops if the lid is opened, which in turn will shut down the stove. That is good to know!

Thank you for the link to the switch for reference, I will locate it the next time I am at the house, probably when the new thermostat arrives.

The earlier Castile's did not have the hopper switch.

Reactions: Mt Bob
The earlier Castile's did not have the hopper switch.
Thank you!
This is an early model from when they were first made, I can't be sure of the exact date as I am not at that house, but mid 2000's. My husband was a Quad dealer and he passed away in 2010. Thank you for staving off a wild goose chase on my part looking for a hopper switch.
I forget the official color, but it is beige with brown flecks. I don't think they make them in that color anymore
Here is a not very good picture of it, cropped from a larger picture.

castile.jpg

If the new remote doesn't do the trick, I will look into the combustion fan. It did continue to run after the stove ran out of pellets, which was a cool down mode I expected. After the stove glass was still warm, but cool enough to touch, I figured the whole unit was cooled down enough to unplug. I didn't know whether it would eventually shut down on it's own or not.

I appreciate the info I am getting about the shut down issue, but I would still like some input on why there is smoke coming from the ash pan area through door latch.

I appreciate the info I am getting about the shut down issue, but I would still like some input on why there is smoke coming from the ash pan area through door latch.
Did the smoke appear after you shut off power to the stove? If so, it may have been because the combustion fan fan wasn't running and the pellets were still smoldering.

Did the smoke appear after you shut off power to the stove? If so, it may have been because the combustion fan fan wasn't running and the pellets were still smoldering.
That might be why. It was just a trickle of smoke, like blowing out a candle. Thank you.

when the new thermostat arrives later this week, I will give an update.