Castile igniter slot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smalltown

Minister of Fire
Oct 1, 2008
Western Maine
Just curious. In the past I noticed that the slot in the burn pot for the igniter seems like it wasn't opened up all the way during manufacturing.

Here are two photos that I took with a mirror and a flashlight so it's a little hard to see at first.

Photo 1 just the burn pot igniter slot. Notice on the right side the metal is lower than the surrounding area but appears to not have been removed all the way.

Photo 2 the same photo, but this time I circled what I think is the full intended slot opening for the igniter, and the red shows where I think metal wasn't cleaned out. This area in red is lower than the side of the burn pot and looks like I should remove it somehow.

Does you burn pot look like mine?

P.S. My Castile is still having issues starting up.
I drop my pellets, burn starts and controller goes from red to green, but usually before I get to the next step red controller it seems to time out and shut down.
I'm still increasing my feed rate a little at a time, but in the past I have left it alone since I'm using the same brand of pellets.

Burn-pot-igniter-slot-no-line.jpg Burn-pot-igniter-slot.jpg

It is hard to see anything in the pics. Something you might be dealing with is the CSS(cold stove startup). The starting sequence is timed. You have 4 minutes, 15 seconds to show proof of fire(you can hear the exhaust fan change speeds), and the green light to come on, telling the stove it has reached 200 degrees, and can start feeding the stove normally. If this does not happen, you will get a nuisance shutdown. With the warmer weather, i have been having the same issues with my Santa Fe. One thing to look for, when you in there with a flashlight and a mirror is to look for any clinker debris, blocking the slit. Try timing it sometime, and see what happens. kap

kap,
Thanks for the reply yes warmer weather has affected my stove in the past. I get up to the green light and then the additional pellets start.
It burns good but the controller doesn't want to go back to red and start running "normal".

When my fire really starts to die, I hit the reset which starts everything again, but the stove will take off due to the glowing pellet embers and shortly the controller will go through all the steps turn red and continue to burn as it should.

Not much activity lately so I thought I would report that after replacing my combustion blower (much quieter now) and the cold weather arrival that I'm burning really good now. I didn't try to clear out what I still think is something left from the casting of the pot, but I guess even I could say if it's working leave it alone!

Reactions: kappel15