Castile Users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brew8

Mar 4, 2007
I am a new user fro southcentral Pa. Am about to have a castile insert installed. Can anyone out there tell me about how long a 40 pound bag of pellets will last? I have heard some horror stories of this unit really eating up the pellets. I have 1800 sq feet to heat and I am hoping this unit will do the trick. Thanks for any help

I was hoping that the thermostat would save me some pellets because I was told that once the the temperature is met the stove will go out. Is this true?

the stove will only feed pellets when it is on, so yes that is true. On a thermostat the pellet stove will consume what it needs, no more no less. If your thermostat calls for heat 24 hours a day and the stove is on high, you will use 96 pounds a day. If your stove calls for heat 8 hours a day on low, it will use 12 pounds a day.

Thanks for your input! This is big investment for my family and I hope this will be a good decision. Right now I have 22,000 BTU propane insert going and it will keep the house around 68. I am hoping the castile will out perform this unit while keeping me to about a bag a day of pellets.

a bag a day is average around here. the pellet insert should be more efficient then your older insert. so at 30k max out put it should handle the heat load jsut fine.

MSG,
Can you tell me the difference between BTU input vs. BTU output? My propane insert is 22,00 BTU input

I hear around a bag a day for heating an average size house also.

Status
Not open for further replies.