Castille. Changed fans & pellet usage skyrocketed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mckevin32

Jan 31, 2020
Russell, KS
We have a 15 year old Quadrafire Castille in our sunroom. Twice recently I came home to a smoke filled room. The second time I determined that the exhaust fan was sluggish, sometimes starting, sometimes not. Ordered a new exhaust fan as well as a convection fan (both OEM), figuring that if I was going to dig that far into a 15 year old stove it was a good time to replace the convection fan anyway. Replacement was uneventful and did a thorough cleaning including flue while I was at it.

The problem is that since then my pellet consumption has increased dramatically! It seemed like it was taking quite a while for the convection fan to startup after ignition (around 12 minutes after a good flame), but heat gun shows that it's kicking in around 110 degrees, a bit lower than spec.

Finally to the point. I don't think that the convection fan is moving as much air as before. I have no way to actually measure airflow, but as I move my hand away from the convection tubes, I stop feeling any airflow around 18" away. I'm thinking this is less velocity than previously, though there's a lot of guesswork in this.

Any thoughts as to what I should be looking at or how to test? I'm at a loss where to go.
Thanks!

What heat and fan setting is it on?

Reactions: johneh and kappel15
I have literally never been inside the control box, so if there are adjustable settings in there they are at default, will be delighted to check. There is a 3 position pellet feed switch on back, which is set to low, which is giving me a 6-7” flame. On medium I was getting a 9-10” flame (above the top of the pot).

Have you set your feed rate with the feed rate adjusting rod in hopper per manual ? And on low, it is not going to pump much heat out. kap