Castille vs. Mt. Vernon AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlsd1125

Oct 2, 2008
western CT
I have a 1400 sq ft house (Fairly new Cape with open floor plan on main level)and have a Mt. Vernon AE on order. I am concerned this might be too big a stove for the house and perhaps I should have ordered the Castille. The stove will be going on the main level in the living room. Any feedback would be greatly apperciated.

I purchased the Mt Vernon and afterwards had the same question. In the end because of the price I paid and my place on the waiting list I stuck with the Mt Vernon for a few reasons.
The price difference wasn't a driving factor to me. I liked the extra features of the Mt Vernon. And the low setting on both stoves is roughly the same (Castile states 1.5 lbs/hr and MTV states 1.7 lbs/hr) so a lot of the heat difference is at the upper end. The only thing that I liked about the Castile over the larger unit is the physical size. The Castile has a noticeably smaller footprint. I had sufficient room where I ended up installing the stove, but had I tried to put it any other place, I would have went with the Castile.

I am in the opposite position..I have approx 1700 sqft newer 2 story with very open stairwell..I have a Castile on order but am wondering if I should switch to the Mt Vernon....one consideration is the Mt Vernon has their newer control and burn system (AE) which includes the automatic clean cycle and much higher effeciency...so it would probably pay back just as fast with less maintenance..HHHmmmmmmm..In Canada the difference is about $1000 between the 2 stoves.

My wife and I looked at both of these stoves also. For us it was the difference between a heating supplement to the our money sucking furnace or the ability to heat the whole house just with the stove even in the coldest temperatures. I figured for a little bigger investment, we were better off with the MT. Vernon.

There are feature you pick up with the MT vernon other than size and BTU.
The thermostat is programmable.
$50 cable allows unit to plug in to Marin battery with out an inverter.
You can burn more types of fuel in a AE although pellets are still cheaper and cleaner.

The MT vernon looked a lot bigger in the store then it did when you got it installed.
Cut out a box the demension of both stoves to get a better idea about the space they will take up.

I'm not too concerned with the actual foot print of the stove but rather the amount of heat it will put out and if it will be too much for my size house (1400 sq. ft.). Will it be running on a low setting all the time? and is that okay for the stove to do? Will the room it is located in be too hot on the lowest setting? I would think with the programmable thermotat you should be able to just set the temp. and thats it. I definitely like the features of the Mt. Vernon which is why I ordered one but I just want to be sure it won't be a problem.

MV is good to heat 3800 sq ft, 1400 is some over kill. It will shut off on with the thermostat, if you don't want it to run on low all the time. I had to go with the middle stove as I have 1500 sq ft.

We looked at both as well and what sold us was all of the advancements that are in the Mt Vernon. It can burn multiple fuel types, has a 30yr warrentee on the fans, which are supposed to be quiet, is EPA compliant, etc..... The difference in price for us was ~$500 and I have ~2000 ft to heat. The other thing that is pretty good is the thermostat which is really a controller. The fact that it warns you when the pellets are low means that I will not be checking the hopper constantly. Since this is a purchase that is long term and one that I will do once in the house I did not want to get a system that really would not do the job because once its installed you have to live with it for a long time.

The sales man first took me to the MV, showed me all the features, looks like a German engineer designed that stove.
All the features turned me off including the square footage. I believe in KISS to a point, Keep It Simple & Stupid.
I am a die hard DIY. While waiting for my door, I know, strange.
I have taken most of the stove apart to see how easy it would be to clean, 2 panels with no tools needed, 1 panel with 2 screws and 1 panel with 4 screws. You can do a complete cleaning in no time flat with this unit.
I was also impressed with the design and lay out of the components, very functional.
When my door comes then I will be able to light my fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.