Castle Serenity auger noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dtaylor628

Nov 30, 2017
Western Wa
Hi all, installed a Serenity two months ago, so far it has been awesome. Heats my home well now that I have it dialed in.

Just this last week I started getting a loud clunk/knock from the auger, happens about every 12-15 cycles. Definitely coming from the motor side of the auger. I checked to make sure the shaft set screw was secure and all the motor mounts were secure. What else should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
May be longer pellets getting broken/sheared in the auger tube. Metal transfers sound well and it may sound like the auger but its in the hopper/tube. Or it could be in the augers gear box and it is usually caused by an auger jam. If the armature spins and the auger shaft doesn’t it probably took out a gear, you would know when that happens you won’t have heat and get errors.

Scoop out the pellets and empty the hopper to view the auger and see if a foreign object was in one of the pellet bags.

If I recall correctly, rish2500 had a Serenity that he spent considerable time diagnosing a knock that turned out to be a defective fire box. The expansion of the metal would make a knock. One of my Serenitys does this, but it is a newer serial than Rich had, and is not leaking so I leave it be and consider it "character".:) But you might do a search of this site and see if you can find that thread. I think it would near two years ago now or so.