Castle Serenity auger not augering.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeff2112

Aug 24, 2019
Newport Ctr, Vt
Guess I should have gone with propane in the workshop. Did battle most of last summer/fall trying to get a $200 St Croix going, then gave up and bought a brand spanking new Castle Serenity. I've now had it a week shy of 2 months. During that time I'd go to the shop and there was no heat, sometimes the hopper was full, other times half. Didn't give it much thought, as I wasn't in the space much yet. A couple of weeks ago I checked, full hopper, hit restart, next morning, still a full hopper. I did this for a couple of days, then decided there was a problem.;em No pellets feeding, so I put a handful in the burnpot, still no fire. Emptied the hopper, went into diagnostics and all that was "checked" was Vacuum & Limit. I checked Feed, but nothing happened, same with Fire. The next day I called Ardisam and spoke to Dan. He said he'd send an igniter. I asked what about the auger not feeding. He said there's a reset button behind the auger that's probably tripped, just push it. Huh? Got the igniter and through much swearing, I got it changed. Now the igniter works, but still no auger feed. Not sure if I had to, but i ended up removing the auger to change the igniter, so if there was any chance the auger was jammed, any jam was cleared. I only removed the 8 bolts holding the motor/auger to the hopper. I didn't take the motor off the auger blade. I also stupidly didn't test to see if the motor turned while I had it out. Too busy swearing. Reassembled. I put pellets in the burn pot and the igniter lights them. The display shows the feed icon flashing periodically. Even though the pellets burn out, the stove continues it's cycle, even kicking on the blower with the display showing Heating, even though the fire is out and cold air is blowing out the vents. Where is this auger reset Dan mentioned. I have no cell service in the shop, so I can't talk to tech support while I'm in there.

Troubleshooting guide
file:///C:/Users/john/Downloads/SerenityTroubleshoot82019%20(2).pdf

I went through the manual/troubleshooting numerous times before calling tech support. As I said above, when Dan said he was sending a new igniter(which fixed one issue) I asked if that was going to fix the auger problem and he mentioned what I believe to be a non existent auger reset switch. If you know if it exists, please let me know where it is.

I'll check the connections one more time, but I think it's the motor. I wonder what would cause both the igniter and auger motor to fail at the same time on a 2 month old stove.

Just got home, tried to get the connectors apart to put a meter on them, but couldn't figure how to get them apart. This would seem to indicate it's not a bad connection. I had the diagnostic feed test running the whole tim while pushing/pulling the connection and never heard the auger move. Any tips on how to get the connector apart or is there a test point I can check?

Just put the probes on the connectors to the auger. You don’t have to pull them off. When the auger indicator comes on you should see voltage. Let’s get this thing fixed.

Testing the voltage when the stove was on Stall 1 didn't give my meter time to fully react to the voltage change, hence it only showed a spike to 75v. Switching to Stall 5 and it's longer pulses, the meter reads 115v across black/white and 190v across red/white which has a cap inline. The last thing I was going to do is take the auger out again after just having taken it out when I changed the igniter, as I said above. Back to the reset button I couldn't find. Right there between the two blue connectors. Push it in and we're back in business.
auger reset button.jpg

Reactions: rich2500
I replaced my motor in the past on my CS
How did you get to the motor, from the side or rear?

Replaced my motor in my CS. Also, removed motor to be able to replace igniter. Access from rear and right side (as facing front of stove)