Castle Serenity Pellet drop whine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mudeprived

Burning Hunk
Oct 9, 2016
SW PA
It whines real loud as it drops pellets for about 3 or four drops then stops for a couple drops then the noise repeats. The pattern is the same every time. Seems like it only whines when it gets to a certain point in the rotation. The whine lasts for about two seconds as pellets drop.

Would this be the auger motor going bad? Stove works fine but the noise is annoyingly loud.

Buildup of Carbon? You think if it's motor it would do it all the time? Clean It
Could be but how does carbon buildup make the whining noise only when the auger spins to drop pellets? I am curious cuz I been running the stove since 2017 and anal about cleaning it. Am I missing something I should be cleaning?

I'm sure most pellet stoves make noise under the right conditions during the auger pulse ON, I have a 2004 enviro on a stone slab and it does the same thing, you can hear it resonating with zero ambient noise, I have greased the gear box(drilled a small hole and needle greased it), cleaned the electric motor and oiled its bearings, vacuumed and checked the auger shaft, hopper and bronze bushings, ready to add rubber insulators to the feet of the stove and then new auger gear box.., or maybe its just the nature of this stove design and I'm wasting my time.

Last edited:
There may be some carbon in the auger chute that binds the auger once or twice a revolution. That may be making the gears/motor whine.

Pull the auger shaft, clean the shaft with a wire wheel on a grinder. Use a brake cylinder hone to clean the tube.

Reactions: ABusWrench
Mudeprived,

We’re you ever able to diagnose the issue? My castle stove just started doing the same thing. Looking to know what you ended up doing to correct the issue. Thanks

Nate from Minnesota

Late to joining this awesome resource. Thought I'd add here to hopefully help someone else. Our Castle began to squeak on and off (almost as bad as fingernails on a chalkboard sometimes!) It's been a great stove and after trying the graphic powder route (nope) I broke down and ordered new auger bearings. (I think that was suggested here in another post)

The top bearing was really bad! I'm positive it was causing the alignment issue and loud screech every 3/4 rotation! This seems like a likely place for issues after a lot of use. We've had this stove for a little over 3 years now. At any rate, it's a very simple job...replaced the bottom bearing as well and the stove fired up and is running like new.