Castle serenity question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm brand new here and looking to finally get a pellet stove for my basement. I've been looking for a long time and have come to the conclusion that buying a pellet stove is worse than buying a used car.I just stumbled on the castle serenity and I like what I see and it seems to get great reviews and its within my budget. I have a few questions though. 1) when running the unit in weekly mode does it actually shut down between timer settings, like if it's set to run 7-9 am and 4-8 pm will it actually shut down between 9 am and 4pm? I thought I've read in some reviews that in temp control mode when it reaches the set temp it will continue to run at it lowest output untill it drops below the call temp. 2) The manual states no more than a 10' horizontal run for the exhaust...but is this for a "level" exhaust pipe. I'd like to place the unit more in the middle of by basement for better heat coverage. So my question is can I run say 15 or 20 feet laterally across the room but if the exhaust pipe has a rise of say 1or2 inches in three feet, ( this should help with draft) then I'd add 4 feet of verticle on the outside of the house. Thanks ?...Ken.

In weekly mode yes the stove will shutdown and then restart at set time.In temp. mode that is correct in that the stove don't shutdown it just throttles back to low when temp. is reached. As far as the exhaust I would give Ardisam a call and ask them about that long of an exhaust run, might need to increase to 4" vent pipe

I've read reviews on Amazon.com Home Depot , ace hardware and looked in online forums.

Thanks for the info rich, I think the weekly mode will work best for me. I'm gonna call Ardisen on Monday and find out about the venting. I'll post back what they recommend.

15 -20 feet can be a stretch for any solid fuel stove. Remember these stoves will produce and emit some ash and that long of run can collect pretty fast and then is hard to clean by shoving a brush through. You also would have three elbows to contend with that will lower the useable vent length. Company may have a install manual online.

Status
Not open for further replies.