Castleton on raised hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john112deere

Dec 13, 2021
central Vermont
Been trying to figure out a way to add a nice heating appliance to my house, and been ping-ponging among options for a while now...hopefully I've clarified my thoughts to where I can at least ask an intelligent question.

Long story short, I've got a double-sided/see-through masonry fireplace, that's currently got a vented gas log in it- obviously not going to provide useful heat, and for me it misses the ambience mark as well. I love the look of the brick fireplace, but never turn the gas log on. This fireplace is upstairs in a house that's basically a ranch with a finished basement- about 2400 sf total, with probably 1300 sf upstairs- and quite adequately heated by oil-fired baseboards now.

I was initially thinking of a gas unit- either an insert or freestanding- but between the cost of propane and some rough figuring on consumption, I'm moving away from that idea. (Among other things, if I was using it for heat...I'd want a bigger gas tank than I currently have- but moving up a size increases required clearances to windows and so I'd have to relocate the tank...not impossible, but it becomes a lot of hassle for the result.)

I've also considered some options that would go in the basement- and they're still on the table- but it's hard to make that work for how we use the space and where the available flue is located. Its possible, but comes with some compromises. (If I lived here alone, it might be different...but I don't.)

Which leads me back to some kind of woodburning option in the fireplace. I was initially thinking an insert, but I really can't get my heart into the idea of one- I want a stove. Maybe that's a bit silly, as the only actual objection I can articulate is that I don't want to listen to the blower...but I also just prefer a freestanding stove.

Some measurement and thought leads me to the Hearthstone Castleton as a viable option for my space. It would sit on a raised hearth, with perhaps 6" of it set back into the fireplace. I'd have to add a chimney liner, obviously, and install some ember protection on the laminate floor in front of the raised hearth- probably cut the laminate out and put down some slate or tile in that area. I think (?) I'd also have to remove or raise the timber mantle- the rest of it's all bare brick, so that's the only combustible thing to worry about. Attached is a PDF of the fireplace, with dimensions noted and blue painters tape laying out approximately how the stove would fit in the space and what the bare minimum ember protection would be needed.

Am I headed in a reasonable direction here, or am I out to lunch? I know I'm probably making some sacrifices in the name of aesthetics over efficiency, and that's ok...but I do want it safe and generally useful.

Thanks to all who've read this far...it's a bit of a ramble of a first post. My apologies.

Attachments

• fireplace dims.pdf
    151.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Well, I ordered one (a factory second in matte black), and it should be installed in a couple weeks. Now I just have to get the space ready for it.

After discussion with my dealer (who checked with Hearthstone), I can keep the mantle if I install a non-combustible heat shield with an air gap. I got a local roofing contractor to bend me up one out of some scrap copper, and picked up some ceramic fencing insulators to use as stand-offs.

So should be all set there- my only question is how close/far from the brick at the 'back' should the shield be? From reading on here it seems there should be an air gap back there to allow air to flow, and not butt the copper sheet right tight to the brick. But I can't find a dimension - is 1/4" a reasonable offset?

Thanks!

[tap-tap-tap] Is this thing on?

A second and hopefully final question as I prep for the install. The stove will be installed on a raised hearth, about 8.5" above the floor, and the front of the stove will be roughly flush with the front of the hearth.

Minimum non-combustible (ember protection only for this stove) is 16" past the front of the stove, and 31.5" wide. I'm planning to cut out the laminate floor (Pergo 'fake wood') and put down tiles- probably slate. Trying to balance having adequate protection vs not tiling too much of the room, while keeping to dimensions that minimize cutting (though I think I've found a tile saw I can borrow, so that's not a huge issue).

Not sure what the practical impacts of the extra height are, though- seems as though being higher, embers might bounce a little further...so I'm thinking maybe 24" deep by 48" wide, using 12" tiles (and maybe mitering the corners to soften the look a bit) should be more than adequate. That is a little big relative to the room, though- 18" (3 courses of 6" tiles) might be better visually but I worry it's a little short. Thoughts on this from either a code perspective, or a practical one? I think it's legal, but perhaps not ideal.

Thanks!

I don’t have the answers to those questions. Maybe somebody will come along with them.

It can butt against the brick to be sure the entire mantel is protected. There will be adequate ventilation from the other 3 sides.

Reactions: john112deere
And there she sits- Hearthstone Castleton 8031, installed today.

That's the initial break-in fire I lit this afternoon...it burned out and I just lit a second, somewhat larger break-in fire a few minutes ago. So far so good...

stove - 2.jpg

Reactions: PAbeech and begreen