Cat talk...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanS

Nov 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
VC Encore...I don't understand 'Cat Talk'. When you all say that you are "engaging the catalytic converter", what does that mean? I start my stove...damper open...temps reach 500, I close the damper and adjust the side toggle thing to keep the temps between 500-600. Yes/ No? Am I making this process too simple, or am I missing some piece?
Also...every so often, I get an overfire (I think you call it that). I will get a fire that has reached a very high temp...800+. This will happen if I change wood types or something. I run and move the lever thingy back and wait for the temp to drop... Did I just ruin the cat with these high temp spikes? (PS...boy, the room gets so nice and toasty when the temps are high...I like it).

Some people here have stoves that use a catalytic converter to burn. Don't know if your Encore does or not . Mine does not. I can not adjust anything on mine except the primary air. Different stoves/inserts different 'adjustables'.

You say "close damper" they say "engage cat". Same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.