Catalpa drying time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteNoob

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2013
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
If I get a catulpa dropped, split and stacked in the next week or two, is it likely to be dry enough to burn this winter? I'm wondering where to put this tree in my stacks. Climate-wise, I'm in northwestern Wisconsin. Thanks, in advance, for any help, guys. :)

It's down with Tulip Poplar for BTU, so I would think it would dry pretty quick. Might be good starter wood, but I would try to get something that dries quick (depending if you need it this winter, can't remember) but puts out more heat, like Cherry, White Ash, or dead standing wood, split medium size or less.

It's down with Tulip Poplar for BTU, so I would think it would dry pretty quick. Might be good starter wood, but I would try to get something that dries quick (depending if you need it this winter, can't remember) but puts out more heat, like Cherry, White Ash, or dead standing wood, split medium size or less.

Thanks. I've got loads of Scots Pine, and the oak is starting to trickle in, but nada in between, yet. I'll be dropping some elm, mulberry, etc. for 15-16' but this catalpa is the biggest thing in the yard, and has about 100 (no exaggeration) woodpecker holes in it. It's right over the car port.

Guess I'll just put with the pine, for 14-15. Keep it to one side, on case it doesn't make it. Thanks, again.

Catalpa cures rather quickly. It's a soft wood, will rot if left exposed to the weather.

Years ago I got some catalpa rounds from a tree company... it burns well after several months split & stacked. Heat output ain't the greatest but it burns.

Reactions: WriteNoob
Status
Not open for further replies.