Catalytic burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TNMike

Aug 13, 2022
Tennessee
I have used a wood stove for many years but recently installed a new Hearthstone stove with a catalytic burner. My first experience with one!
My question is if i have the cat engaged and am going to let the fire burn out overnight should I disengage the cat before going to bed? If I don’t will the cat become clogged?

Thank you

No need to disengage, the cat will consume all the smoke and gas until the fire is down into the coaling stage. Once your in the coaling stage there is little to no worries of creosote or potential cat clogging.

Reactions: Ashful
Exactly. Once that bypass is closed, never open, until it's time to reload.

I thought it might damage the catalytic if the temp is lower than 500F ie you dont engage it until after that temp on first loading ? Not true?

you don't use the cat until it's up to 500 or so because below that depending on how low it won't fire up. once all the smoke is eaten the fire just goes out on the cat and the stove itself

I thought it might damage the catalytic if the temp is lower than 500F ie you dont engage it until after that temp on first loading ? Not true?
No damage. It may plate up with soot/creosote, but assuming that never happens so badly that it wont ignite at all, it will just burn off when temps spike later.

No damage. It may plate up with soot/creosote, but assuming that never happens so badly that it wont ignite at all, it will just burn off when temps spike later.
At the late stage of the fire, there are no more volatiles coming off of the wood. It's just charcoal so there shouldn't be soot or creosote issues, especially in a hybrid stove.

Reactions: fbelec