Catalytic Combustor question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

golf12

Oct 28, 2022
Ontario
Hi all. I ordered a replacement combustor for my 1986 Encore. The combustor for this stove is 2.5x13x2" and I accidentally ordered the 2.5x13x1" unit. So the combustor I ordered is 1" thick vs the 2" thick it came with. I have been operating this stove for 15 yrs so I know it well. I replace the combustor every 5 years so this is the 3rd one. Amazon is not getting back to me regarding an exchange or return which is of course frustrating. If they weren't so dang expensive, I'd just cut my losses and re-order the 2" unit. But this thing was $300 cdn. With all of this said. I wondered if I can get some feedback on whether or not it's really a big deal if I use the 1" thick combustor vs 2". The 1" combustor fits the stove perfectly, its just not as thick as the original. Logic dictates that I won't get quite as clean of a burn when the combustor activates but other than that I can't see any other down-side to using it if I cannot get a return or an exchange figured out. If there are any other reason's that this would be a no no. I would appreciate the input. Thanks!

I would be hesitant to use it like this. Evidently the amount of gases this stove produces, needs a certain channel length to be combusted. You don't have that now.

If this is a ceramic version (rather than metal), and you really can't get a return arranged, what about buying a second one, and slide both in? The ceramic ones will have the channels lined up (the metal substrate ones are often a bit variable in exact channel position).

Regardless, I'd try more strongly to return this one. Amazon allows to chat. I'd do that.
Or contact the vendor on Amazon (assuming it's different from Amazon itself).

I would be hesitant to use it like this. Evidently the amount of gases this stove produces, needs a certain channel length to be combusted. You don't have that now.

If this is a ceramic version (rather than metal), and you really can't get a return arranged, what about buying a second one, and slide both in? The ceramic ones will have the channels lined up (the metal substrate ones are often a bit variable in exact channel position).

Regardless, I'd try more strongly to return this one. Amazon allows to chat. I'd do that.
Or contact the vendor on Amazon (assuming it's different from Amazon itself).
Thank you so much for the quick reply. And yes i think I’m inclined to agree with you. With an appliance like this it’s probably best not mess with the engineering. The combustor is that size for a reason. The unit is ceramic and I never thought of ordering a second one. Great idea if it comes to that. I will of course continue the battle with Amazon and should be able to get it sorted out. Just figured I’d solicit some opinions in case there was some kind of a consensus out there that it didn’t really matter. Thanks again..

I have never had a problem returning an item with Amazon. Usually it is a 1 month window they even have a drop down box that you can select "bought wrong item" Last year I had to return a car stereo wiring harness after about 3 months I called them explained it was not needed they processed the claim over the phone. All I had to do was drop it off at a ups store. Good luck they should take care of it for you.

Reactions: stoveliker
I'd return to Amazon and just reorder the correct one. I purchased mine direct from Midwest Hearth and spoke to them and Applied Ceramics who is the actual manufacturer of the cats.

You've got the same stove as I do. I would really appreciate if you could look at my post about the damper and look at your stove and tell me if yours looks the same where the damper pivots on the right side.

You've got the same stove as I do. I would really appreciate if you could look at my post about the damper and look at your stove and tell me if yours looks the same where the damper pivots on the right side.
Hi Eman.. I know exactly what you're referring to. My stove is the same. The stub on the right side bottom of the damper fits into a hinge which of course keeps the damper straight so it closes firm against the opening to create the seal. My (hinge) is just like yours in that there is no "backing" so the stub tends to slide out on that side whenever I open the damper. When the stove is in use and its time to close the damper. All I do is reach in with my poker which has a hook on one end as most pokers do. I hook onto the top of the damper and just pull the right side forward so its in the slot (hinge). Then the damper closes straight and creates a perfect seal. I just think the hinge on the handle side gets a bit loose over time allowing the damper to move when opening which allows the right side stub to back out of the hinge.

Hi Eman.. I know exactly what you're referring to. My stove is the same. The stub on the right side bottom of the damper fits into a hinge which of course keeps the damper straight so it closes firm against the opening to create the seal. My (hinge) is just like yours in that there is no "backing" so the stub tends to slide out on that side whenever I open the damper. When the stove is in use and its time to close the damper. All I do is reach in with my poker which has a hook on one end as most pokers do. I hook onto the top of the damper and just pull the right side forward so its in the slot (hinge). Then the damper closes straight and creates a perfect seal. I just think the hinge on the handle side gets a bit loose over time allowing the damper to move when opening which allows the right side stub to back out of the hinge.
Thanks for the response. Mine used to work correctly and then this issue happened. I had my damper out and the flue adapter off to replace the gaskets which is why I could get a picture of it. I want to correct this while I have it apart. I can't get a socket on the bolt as the tab is right against the bolt head which leads me to believe it might have an adjustment and it slipped upwards. If I get time I'll look at it later today. I just wasn't sure if a piece had broken off.

@golf12 It appears to me that the tab on the right side has bent from the pressure when you close the damper. There seems to be more pressure on the right side and less support so it bent the tab. I bent the tab back and it has tightened it up and it doesn't move away when closing.

Reactions: golf12