Catalytic Heat Reclaimer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
Do any experts know if a device such as this exists?

We've all seen the Magic heat, as well as lots of other heat reclaimers. The general consensus is that they really aren't worth it, will slow your draft, cool the flue gas and lead to creosote deposits, and give creosote a place to build up/clog the flue. Not a great idea except in very special or particular circimstances.

My idea would be a heat reclaimer that incorporates a catalyst with high conductive metal on the outside, that would put more heat into the room and possibly clean up exhaust gas further than the secondary burn or stove catalyst. If the stove is burning cleanly, there won't be any smoke to condense on the reclaimer, which clears up the first problem of it being a creosote magnet, as well as the problem of cooling the exhaust gas thereby allowing further creosote condensation. If you ARE producing a bit of smoke, the catalyst in the reclaimer will light off, cleaning up the exhaust gas while pumping more heat into the room.

The only downside I can see to this is it could produce lots of extra drag in the flue, and thereby reduce draft. I would incorporate a bypass for starting the stove, and it wouldn't be recommended for people who are having low draft. It would be perfect, however, for people who get lots of extra draft and have trouble getting long burns because of it. It could be used much like a flue damper, only it would allow even more heat to be pumped into the room.

It sounds to me like you might be a good candidate for a Woodstock stove. It will do all you need done with no add-ons.

Catalysts need secondary air just as much as secondary flames do. Preferably preheated.

I haven't been able to find out if that Add-On from Woodman's provides secondary air, but I don't see any obvious provision for it in the picture.

No air, no combustion... catalyst or no. Catalysts don't re-invent the fire triangle, they just make it happen at lower temperatures.

That said, I'm interested in cat retrofits too. Been playing with one in my Jotul Model 8, a round damper-style device along the lines of what Jotul did in the Model 8C. Main finding so far is summarized in the first line of this post. No problem getting light-off temperature... but hard to get much temperature rise across the cat unless I provide supplemental air.

Eddy

I had one such unit on a previous unit - it didn't work so well.
It was located too far from the heat source, and thus was very
difficult to keep it "lit". Most well desigined Catalytic Heaters are
designed & work best when placed as close as possible to the fire box.
Other stack units (no longer available) have a sizable heat mass within them.

I'd pass on this......

Status
Not open for further replies.