Catalytic Stove temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jenlwhi2

Nov 19, 2022
Oklahoma
We have a new buckstove 91 and just got it 'properly' installed with a ss pipe. (I had a previous thread going regarding those issues.)It is drafting much better and seems to be operating great.

My question now is regarding temperatures. Our manual says to keep the catalyst probe in the 1200-1400° range. We have been doing that successfully but just noticed the stove top temp is showing 150°. From what I've read that stove top should be a lot hotter...
Are we missing something? Or is this correct temps? Our 2200 sf house is nice and toasty.
There is still some light blackening happening on the glass which could be caused from wetter wood. But are our temps seeming right to yall?

Picture of the stove top gauge so you can see what I'm talking about

20221127_185426.jpg 20221127_185429.jpg 20221127_185455.jpg

Those magnetic bimetal thermometers can be highly inaccurate. Investing in a IR gun would be a lot more accurate. My guess is your STT is double that reading.

Those magnetic bimetal thermometers can be highly inaccurate. Investing in a IR gun would be a lot more accurate. My guess is your STT is double that reading.
Well we do have a heat gun that isn't designed to go too hot (it's not for stoves) but it's been pretty accurate for scanning other surfaces and it shows the top between 160-180°f.

We had a 91 installed last year, and still learning the stove myself, so maybe not a lot of help. Stove top rarely gets much over 400 measured with IR gun, and that is after it's been running a bit. However, the front of the stove will usually be in the 500-600 range.

The glass pretty much has a build up on the lower corners all the time, and the 2 side windows stay dark. I think that's due to the design where it is wider at the front and narrows at the back. If I have a really hot fire it will mostly clear the front glass, but the sides are always dark tinted. I usually don't have it running with a lot of flame but mostly with the primary air almost closed.
Then again it could just be my stove as I've had issues with the catalyst probe going over 1600, though the fires I've had this year have not been as bad.

These stoves have a less than steller air wash on the front glass, get used to cleaning the glass if you want to see the fire through the frosted look. The heat is being generated from the catalyst and that is why you have the catalyst temp gauge on the front, I would just go by that unless you want to get fancy and monitor your exhaust temps. Keep it in the silver range and you will be fine. With drier wood you will be able to cut your air back more and still get good heat out.

I would put it differently (at least for the front window; I don't know the side window issues). Air wash efficiency depends on the volume of air that flows. Burning low and slow, that these stoves can, means (necessarily) to have a low flow of air. Therefore the window will get dirty when the flow is below the limit for keeping it clean.

I think the air wash design parameters are not necessarily worse than on tube stoves. Those just run hotter than the expanded low and slow capabilities of cat stoves.

Edit: I agree with the rest. If the cat temp is okay, and you get heat (and no smoke, and the flue is not too hot, wasting heat up the flue), all is well.

Last edited:
This is how Buck says to clean the glass in the manual:
Cleaning Glass. The glass inside will become colored during use from creosote buildup. The best way to clean glass, COLD STOVE, is to let creosote buildup harden. Then use razor blade to scarp of buildup of creosote. Wash glass using soapy water or glass cleaner.

Reactions: stoveliker
So glad to hear you guys are back up and running! Those cat probe temps look/sound much better, and right about where our 91 runs on average.

I agree with Kvic on the stovetop temps; haven’t checked ours lately, but they’re in the same ballpark as I recall. We run our stove by the cat probe temps.

The glass discoloration is normal; about all you can do is try different air settings, and find a balance between glass cleaning and heat. Cheers!

noticed the stove top temp is showing 150°. From what I've read that stove top should be a lot hotter...
I use the Condar meters..I've had some of those Rutlands that were inaccurate, or where the needle came loose.
But the reason you are getting a low temperature where you have that meter is that it's not actually on the top of the firebox. It's on the top of the convective chamber. Blower air is pushed through that space, between the visible top of the stove and the actual top of the firebox.
When I ran the 91, I put the meter on the front of the stove, where the top of the firebox intersects it.
We had a 91 installed last year...the front of the stove will usually be in the 500-600 range.

I've had issues with the catalyst probe going over 1600, though the fires I've had this year have not been as bad.

Yeah, I started getting nervous when my cat probe went above 1500. They say damage to the cat may occur if you run it up there for long periods.

001.JPG