Catalytic Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamer

Jul 15, 2008
Southern Vt
I have been considering a new Cat stove the Fireview. I have a question regarding flue temperature. If the cat stoves are more efficient with more complete combustion therefore extracting hot gases and turning them into usable heat is it true that the temperature of the remaining gases going up the flue are cooler due to more complete combustion in the stove. The flue gases going into the chimney should be a lower temperature. Is this correct? I have read the stove (Fireview) is hot but flue temperatures are cooler than non-cat stoves
Thanks Steamer

Check with Woodstock on this and they will give you the best answer. But that cat. burns hot! So the flue temperature will also probably be hot.

Regardless of the flue temperature though, the gases going up the chimney won't give you much of a problem. We put in a new chimney at the same time as installing the Fireview. After burning 24/7 all winter last year, we still have not had to clean the chimney. It is clean! Even the cap is clean!

My Fireview does run a cooler stack than all my previous non cats. Probably a 100 degree difference if I remember right. My external pipe temp 18" above the stove generally run from 250-350. Some say that is a sign of better efficiency.

Steamer said:
I have been considering a new Cat stove the Fireview. I have a question regarding flue temperature. If the cat stoves are more efficient with more complete combustion therefore extracting hot gases and turning them into usable heat is it true that the temperature of the remaining gases going up the flue are cooler due to more complete combustion in the stove. The flue gases going into the chimney should be a lower temperature. Is this correct? I have read the stove (Fireview) is hot but flue temperatures are cooler than non-cat stoves
Thanks Steamer

My only experience is one winters worth with a Fireview. I have a probe type thermometer about 2 1/2' up from the top of the stove, double wall pipe. Once the cat is engaged and intake air about .75 on a 0-4 scale I'll see temps as low as 200F.
This seems lower that what others report for various stoves, but seems to be pretty typical operation for my stove/thermometer set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.