Cathedral Ceiling Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubyjliamf

Oct 6, 2008
Easton, MD
Well, we are hesitating now because we are worried about how the stove pipe will look in the corner of the living room going up 18 feet on the inside! We have cathedral ceilings, which means good heat transfer to the upstairs, but black pipe going all the way up to the ceiling. Can anyone on the Forum show me photos(s) of this type of install? I think it would make us feel better to know that someone has done this before, that it looks good and won't hurt the resale value of the home. Thanks again!

-Heather

I think it will look great, and you will get terrific heat transfer with all of that pipe inside. Here is a link to my install, which I posted on the Perfect Picture forum. The middle picture will give you the best idea. You are looking at close to 10" of pipe. You have considerably more at 18", but I still think it will look great. One thing I definitely suggest is to build up the hearth as I did. Aside from other benefits, it looks a lot better built up when you have high ceilings and all that pipe. Or else the stove will just look puny. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/14900/ Let me know what you think. Also, if you go to Hearth.com Home and click on the picture gallery, you will probably see some more pictures. Good Luck!

I have seen colored ceramic pipe that looks GREAT...don't know what your buget is Iam sure it isn't cheep but looks aussum!! but I have seen black pipe go 16 ft and it looked very nice. it really does blend in well

Here's mine. Probably not as high as your ceiling, but I think it looks good. We had to do the little angle jog at the top due to the location of the roof trusses. What do you think?

Attachments

• Cathedral woodstove.JPG
    Cathedral woodstove.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 3,940
Not a corner install, but here's my catherdral ceiling install for whatever its worth. About an 18-20' run of black pipe.

index.php

gotta change that sig mayhem. Looks like it's Morso 3610, burning in progress now. :)

How are you liking her?

my stove is getting installed tommorow.

Had to order the parts special order from Home depot.

I will take picks too. My ceilings are16 feet high for pipe. 21 feet overall roughly.

I do agree about home values but we live in the North east so I don't see it being a issue.

BeGreen said:
gotta change that sig mayhem. Looks like it's Morso 3610, burning in progress now. :)

How are you liking her?

I still haven't stained the hearth pad trim...technically its still in progress. I guess.

Its a good stove, throws some nice heat when I get it cranking. Still learning its operational tendencies though. I've got a surprisingly lousy draft despite having pretty much every factor possible going my way (straight, very long shot chimney, cap above the roof peak, most of it inside, etc.). I tend to get alot of smoke intrusion into the house when I feed the stove, not sure if exactly why but it tells me the whole house is probably under slightly negative pressure.

Mayhem, I love the location of that stove. That ceiling fan is in the perfect spot too. It must heat the entire upstairs beautifully. Does the heat move throught that hallway and also into the kitchen well?

woodburn said:
Mayhem, I love the location of that stove. That ceiling fan is in the perfect spot too. It must heat the entire upstairs beautifully. Does the heat move throught that hallway and also into the kitchen well?

Still tinkering with the airflow to get the rest of the house warm. The hallway leads to a full bath halfway down the hall and two bedrooms at the end of the hall, the stright shot bedroom is where the zone thermostat is for those three rooms. I have alot of trouble getting heat down that hallway, even with the ceiling fan blowing downwards I still wind up runing the heat in the back bedrooms all winter long...I figure I've got a good 150-200 gallons of oil to recover in that area if I cna get the heat transferred more evenly. The upstaris gets really warm...like I've used a surface temp ir sensor to go up the back wall of the great room and measured 72 at the base of the wall and somewhere just over 100F at the peak of the ceiling. The hot air really doesn't do a good job of getting into the upstairs bedroom, but its shorts and tanktop heat up in the loft. I'm experimenting wiht blowing cold air out of the rooms, based ont eh advice of other members here, but until we get into running the stove wide open for an extended period of time I don't think I'm going to see the effectiveness. I'm also toying with outting in a pass thru grate at the very peak of the wall into the master bedroom so that when I blow cooler air out of the doorway, that really hot air can come rushing in and it ought to make a significant difference there as well.

I cut my oil consumption in half last year, roughly 500 gallons saved over the winter by not having to heat the great room at all with oil...thats fully 60% of the interior volume of my house. I'm confident I've got another 200 gallons to gain this year.

Thanks, rubyjliamf...I used your thread as an excuse to order myself a really nice new wide angle zoom lens for my camera. (I know, pretty lame, eh?). Our Lopi Liberty in the house has exposed single-wall all the way up to a cathedral ceiling support box...about a 14' run from the stove collar. Can't really get a good pic of the whole deal with any of the lenses I have. You'll get the first one I take with the new lens. Thanks again. (BTW, we like how our stove looks in the house). Rick

mayhem said:
BeGreen said:

How are you liking her?

I still haven't stained the hearth pad trim...technically its still in progress. I guess.

Its a good stove, throws some nice heat when I get it cranking. Still learning its operational tendencies though. I've got a surprisingly lousy draft despite having pretty much every factor possible going my way (straight, very long shot chimney, cap above the roof peak, most of it inside, etc.). I tend to get alot of smoke intrusion into the house when I feed the stove, not sure if exactly why but it tells me the whole house is probably under slightly negative pressure.

If the behavior is much better with a window or door open then that could be the problem. If it is, an OAK should solve it. Just curious, is there a whole house ventilation system running?

mayhem said:
woodburn said:

Still tinkering with the airflow to get the rest of the house warm. The hallway leads to a full bath halfway down the hall and two bedrooms at the end of the hall, the stright shot bedroom is where the zone thermostat is for those three rooms. I have alot of trouble getting heat down that hallway, even with the ceiling fan blowing downwards I still wind up runing the heat in the back bedrooms all winter long...I figure I've got a good 150-200 gallons of oil to recover in that area if I cna get the heat transferred more evenly. The upstaris gets really warm...like I've used a surface temp ir sensor to go up the back wall of the great room and measured 72 at the base of the wall and somewhere just over 100F at the peak of the ceiling. The hot air really doesn't do a good job of getting into the upstairs bedroom, but its shorts and tanktop heat up in the loft. I'm experimenting wiht blowing cold air out of the rooms, based ont eh advice of other members here, but until we get into running the stove wide open for an extended period of time I don't think I'm going to see the effectiveness. I'm also toying with outting in a pass thru grate at the very peak of the wall into the master bedroom so that when I blow cooler air out of the doorway, that really hot air can come rushing in and it ought to make a significant difference there as well.

I cut my oil consumption in half last year, roughly 500 gallons saved over the winter by not having to heat the great room at all with oil...thats fully 60% of the interior volume of my house. I'm confident I've got another 200 gallons to gain this year.

Try this in that corner where the stair wall and hallway ceiling meet. It will definietel help. http://www.smarthome.com/3008/Doorway-Booster-Fan-RR100/p.aspx I figured the heat had a tough time making down that hallway, thats why I asked. That fan will help tremendously.

BeGreen said:
mayhem said:
BeGreen said:

How are you liking her?

If the behavior is much better with a window or door open then that could be the problem. If it is, an OAK should solve it. Just curious, is there a whole house ventilation system running?

I've never tried it with a window open...I'll have to give it a shot. Whats an OAK? I have no whole house ventilation system.

An OAK is short for outside air kit. It supplies fresh air to the stove from outside instead of the stove competing for indoor air. Stoves require a fair amount of air to burn the fuel. In a tight house there can be negative pressure whenever an exhaust fan, furnace, gas hw heater, clothes dryer comes on. These appliance compete with the wood stove or create a negative pressure in the house. That's why the suggestion for opening a window near the stove. It's to see if that improves the air supply to the stove. If it does, an OAK is recommended.

I'm putting a stove in my great room with cathedral ceiling right now, and I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma. I have two locations I could put the stove, both are in the outside corner of the room. My ceiling (and roof) are 12/12 pitch. What I'm trying to decide is where to put the chimney...I can either go straight up and through the roof in which case I'd have about 14' of class A chimney from the exterior roof surface up. OR...I could come up 4-6' off the stove, put in a 45 degree elbow and follow the inside pitch of the ceiling up to nearly the peak, put in another 45 and go straight up through the roof with about 4' of class A above the roof. Pros and Cons: I don't like the idea of having a 14' tall chimney coming straight out of the roof (it's on the front of the house and would stick out like a sore thumb) but if I go with the interior run, I'm concerned about cleaning the chimney. Has anyone been faced with a similar situation? What'd you decide? How's it work? Any input is appreciated!

Matt

yea Mayhmen just open a window. is that a Lindel Cedar home? I ask because I have one and always have a window open 99% of the time

wood wacker said:
yea Mayhmen just open a window. is that a Lindel Cedar home? I ask because I have one and always have a window open 99% of the time

Its actually a modified Lincoln Logs kit. We looked at Lindal and they were about 70% higher cost of entry whihc put it out of our league. I'm going to try running the stove with a window open tonight and see if I get any smoke intrusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.