Cathedral Ceiling Support....insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jorswift

Jan 25, 2016
Indiana
I just got done installing the ceiling ceiling support box. I have my chimney (stainless insulated double wall) up and mounted/installed. I don’t have the ceiling all the way done or stove hooked up yet. But the box is cold from the attic. Is there some type of insulation or something i can stuff it with or around it to keep it from getting cold and possible frosting or sweating before i drywall? Thanks

Attachments

• 003FF5F4-829B-4AD3-A058-A17C5958387A.jpeg
    003FF5F4-829B-4AD3-A058-A17C5958387A.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 267
N/M i see they offer there own insulation for the box! Which I would have seen this earlier, it is to be COLD this week!

Since they make the insulation for this purpose it would be best to use it. Part # is SUSI I think. JUSI possibly. It just looks like plain old brown fiberglass to me.

Will inslulating keep it from getting cold. I just touched it this morning and it’s freezing to the touch inside. Hate for it to sweat after I install drywall.

Will inslulating keep it from getting cold. I just touched it this morning and it’s freezing to the touch inside. Hate for it to sweat after I install drywall.
That’s exactly what it’s designed for.

Since they make the insulation for this purpose it would be best to use it. Part # is SUSI I think. JUSI possibly. It just looks like plain old brown fiberglass to me.
I was going to guess mineral wool, maybe more like Roxul?

What's with the foam board up their? Not sure I'd want that anyware near a heat source

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

What's with the foam board up their? Not sure I'd want that anyware near a heat source

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

LOL. the foam board is temporary until the "Universal Shielding Insulation" comes in. I cannot drywall/finish the ceiling until I can stuff the box and surround full of the USI insulation stuff. So I had to seal it off to so I would lose too much heat!