Cat's or Dog's with ashes from stove.....nothing serious.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FirepotPete

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 25, 2010
Titletown U.S.A
Does anyone else have a dog or cat in their house that is attracted to ash from your stove?

I ask this because we have a cat and dog, they pretty much stay away from each other except when it gets cold and the stove gets fired up. Then they will lay by the stove inches apart getting along just fine. Over the years we've all seen that with wood stove, oil burners, even forced air outlets. But for some reason our cat does something I've never seen from a cat.

Every night I pull the clinker from my stove. I have a cookie sheet that I leave under the stove to put under the door of the stove when I open it to catch any small amount of ash that may fall out from getting on the floor. Every night our cat comes to the stove right before I get ready to pull the clinker, it knows it's time! Then the cat crawls under and around the stove the entire time I am pulling the clinker, cleaning the glass and replacing the clinker fork in the firepot. It waits for me to place the cookie sheet under the stove again. I then take the clinker outside to cool off. The entire time until I get back in the cat is just enamored with the ash on the cookie sheet.

I've even left it for a little while longer to see what the cat does. As long as that little bit of ash is on that pan the cat stays there, sniffing, pawing it a little, but never licks it.

Any ideas? Or other strange behaviors from critters around your stove?

Reactions: jackman
My beagle likes to lick the hearth pad if there are any ashes on it. I have to vacuum it thoroughly or she is licking it like crazy

My beagle likes to lick the hearth pad if there are any ashes on it. I have to vacuum it thoroughly or she is licking it like crazy
You use pellets by reading your sig line. And I burn 100% corn. I guess ash is ash to them. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.