Caulking around hearth.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeePee

Nov 15, 2008
Mississauga, Ontario
There is a gap between my brick fireplace and the adjacent wall, the existing sealant is old and falling out. I would like to remove the old material and seal the gap up. Any suggestions for the correct material to use?

Apologies for the image quality. In the second image I've circled the area in red to clarify which are I am referring to.

Thanks!
DP

Attachments

• DSCF1095.JPG
    DSCF1095.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 830
  • wherethecracksare.JPG
    wherethecracksare.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 1,140
Quikcrete makes a mortar repair caulk that comes in a standard caulking gun type tube. It's an acrylic formula with enough sand added to give it some texture. It has a very realistic mortar gray color and has lasted very well for me, but I've only used it with stone and brick. Your joints require that it adhere to the masonry and the wall - not sure how it would do in that application.

Because of the dissimilar materials, there will always be movement causing failure. I would suggest you get foam cord and adhere it to the brick side. It is available in different diameters. Adhere it to the brick with silicone.

fraxinus said:
Quikcrete makes a mortar repair caulk that comes in a standard caulking gun type tube. It's an acrylic formula with enough sand added to give it some texture. It has a very realistic mortar gray color and has lasted very well for me, but I've only used it with stone and brick. Your joints require that it adhere to the masonry and the wall - not sure how it would do in that application.

Thanks for the pointer! I'm going to do some research on that product and see if I can find it locally.

Best regards.
DP

If you want to just stick to using caulk, there is a polyurethane caulk that is used in expansion joints. It stays reasonably flexible and as long as you don't have too much movement, should last a few years. Outfits that do high rise window glazing also do the expansion joint caulking and can provide the best material.

Agreed, I'd use an adhesive caulk that sets up flexible. Something like DAP Dynaflex 230 should work well and is easy to use indoors (low odor, easy cleanup, paintable).

Status
Not open for further replies.