Caulking bricks outside fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

savathearth

Mar 1, 2020
CA
Hello,

I'm new to DIYs and would appreciate help on this.

1. I have these red bricks outside of fireplace. What kind of caulking should I use to fill the gaps between the red bricks outside of fireplace?
2. What kind of mortar should be used inside the fireplace to fix the cracks and gaps?

I know this would be personal preference but would you consider leaving the red bricks as-is (just clean them) or paint them white?

Thanks.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 242
Hello,

I'm new to DIYs and would appreciate help on this.

1. I have these red bricks outside of fireplace. What kind of caulking should I use to fill the gaps between the red bricks outside of fireplace?
2. What kind of mortar should be used inside the fireplace to fix the cracks and gaps?

I know this would be personal preference but would you consider leaving the red bricks as-is (just clean them) or paint them white?

Thanks.
You mean between the brick and trim? Just painters caulk will work.

In the firebox refractory mortar

Don't paint it if you want to use it

I think you will not find any paint that will hold up inside the fireplace.

One of my SILs who does faux, murals and straight painting, painted the brick above the mantel and accented the brick around the fireplace to lighten it a bit.
20200214_133630.jpg

Reactions: kennyp2339