Cawley Lemay 400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushman1

Mar 12, 2009
Northern Michigan
I have came across a Cawley Lemay 400 today and it is very nice and for $200.00. This stove was used occasionally and has no cracks in the iron. I was considering a Jotul Black Bear but have heard they are a little cramp in the burn box. I plan on heating 1800 sqare in a ranch house that is well insulated. Would a Cawley Lemay 400 be too small of a stove for primary heat? Besides the pretty castings and all were these good heaters?

Bushman

Greetings and welcome Bushman. From what I can gather, the Cawley-Lemay is closer to the Jotul 602 than the Jotul 118 in size and heat output. It sounds like a really nice little stove and a good area heater.

That said, heating ranch houses can sometimes be challenging, depending on the floor layout. The CM400 'might' be able to handle the load, but if it's like the Jotul 602 you will be feeding it very frequently when the temps drop into the teens.

Here's a wiki post on the stove:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Cawley_400/

the cawley-lemay 400 is actually much larger than the jotul 602 ... and, if my memory of the jotul 118 is clear, the CL400 is larger still than the jotul 118 too.

it would depend which direction you set the heat shields in the CL400 - you can set the heat shields so the firebox is wider (and holds more wood) or less-wide (for less wood).

if you set the heat shields on the CL400 to the wider allowance, i'm guessing the CL400 has a greater capacity than the Jotul 118 Black Bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.