Cb 1200 ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymaine34

Burning Hunk
Jan 5, 2013
Hi guys ! I'm new to the site have enjoyed reading the post and have learned a lot !
So here we go
I have a cb 1200 free standing ( 4 th yr heating 2000 sq ft )
We have loved our stove since day one has always kept our home at a toasty 75 plus . Have used a few different pellets in the past and have found the softwoods to work the best for us .(okonogan , Vermont ect. )
This year I bought 4 tons of mcfeeters ( tried a few bags before I bought them and read reveiws ) was happy a little more dirty but heat was good .
We just hit our first cold snap ( below zero 3 nights and single teens during the day ) stove could not keep up thermostat set at 80 never able to get the room the stove was in above 72 . Ran 24/7 very small flame never above pot no matter what I did !
After talking to the company who put my stove in they were sure it was a pellet problem . After talking to my pellet supplier they are sure it's a stove issue ( go figure )
Well I figured I had to try something the pellet in question was mcfeeters so I went and got some vermonts .
Wow what a difference feels like double the heat ! Keep in mind the last 2 days have been upper 20 lower 30 .
I clean my stove twice a week (mcfeeters burn dirty )
Where do I start to figure on what's going on here how do I rule something out ?
The heat I have now is great but the flame is still off ( or is it ? ) I know you want to see. Picture and as soon as I figure that out I'm on it ! But the flame at times is normal 4 inches above pot but will fall back down inside the pot
I know I'm going on here but I'm trying to cover as much as I can .
Also as a snide note my dad has the same stove same pellets no issues at all ( came off the same truck )
I hope I don't have 3 tons of junk in my garage ! Any help would be great thanks !
J

Also have a CB1200 and burned a ton of McFeeters. Liked the heat (if stove was clean) but found them very ashy. The clinkers were hockey pucks in the bottom of the pot unless I pulled the clean-out rod every day. When they were done, I did a FULL cleaning and was amazed at the ash.
Have you checked the chamber behind the firebox? Mine was probably 1/4 full. On the right side, in front of the blower there is a panel w/ 4 screws. Take off and check in the chamber.
This is the ash chamber that leads to the exhaust.
I have since switched to Vermonts (and Turmans) and have none of the same issues.

Also have a CB1200 and burned a ton of McFeeters. Liked the heat (if stove was clean) but found them very ashy. The clinkers were hockey pucks in the bottom of the pot unless I pulled the clean-out rod every day. When they were done, I did a FULL cleaning and was amazed at the ash.
Have you checked the chamber behind the firebox? Mine was probably 1/4 full. On the right side, in front of the blower there is a panel w/ 4 screws. Take off and check in the chamber.
This is the ash chamber that leads to the exhaust.
I have since switched to Vermonts (and Turmans) and have none of the same issues.
I see the panel wasn't sure I should remove it ? The quad manual gives you such little info ! Did this solve your flame issue ? I've burned about 1 1/2 tons so far . But even the vermonts are not giving the best flame now
Cleaned it out not much in there but there was a few handfuls . Thanks for the info open to any other ideas !

Have you cleaned your exhaust vent? And have you checked the door gasket? Could be a clogged (or semi clogged) exhaust vent pipe or a leak in the door gasket. Try the "dollar bill test" on the door. After 4 years could be the door gasket is wearing out.

Hope these help ! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures ! No I haven't done a exhaust pipe clean out or the dollar test . I will do the dollar test. When it shuts down . The stove was always cleaned by the company that installed it at the end of each year . I was told no need to do anything else other than empty the ashes . So this is a learning curve for me . Not sure I even know how to clean the exhaust out but I figure you mean at the clean out at the base of the T clean out .
I just want to figure out how to keep my family warm . I could always call the pellet stove company but all I get is them coming out telling me its all set and a bill !

From the pictures it appears that you have a decent fire. Also appears that there is some fraying of the door gasket (upper right - facing stove). Have you adjusted the feed per manual? Really need to do this whenever you switch pellets.
I know that with the recent cold snap, my Quad really worked to try and keep up. We were spoiled the last few winters.
I have found that just because it was cleaned by a "professional" doesn't mean it was done right. Also have you removed the heat plates above the burn chamber and vacuumed off the heat exchanger tubes? A lot of ash can collect there and significantly lower heat output.

And, do you have a leaf blower/vacuum? Maybe the "leaf blower trick" is in order.

I do have a leaf blower . Not sure how the trick would work ( my stove is vented up my chimmey )
I did notice the gasket by the door and was told by the company that cleaned it that it was fine . Figured it must have been or they would have sold me one . Are they hard to change ?
I'm surprised you think the flame looks good but I'm glad it is good !
It's funny you mention the cold snap because that's when I started to notice the issues . I know it's gonna sound stupid but we set the stove to 80 and that room has always gotten there easy the stove would cycle on and off !
But with this last cold snap the room at night would be lucky to get to 72-74 running 24/7 . Now the outside temp is 20 and the house was is warm and toasty ( burning vermonts now ) was I just asking to much of the stove ?

Hard to tell from the pictures. If that on low? Mine isnt very far above the top of the burnpot on low.

No it's on high !

Try the dollar bill test on the gasket anyway. The flame color looks good but might be a little low. Have you adjusted the feed gate?
Pellet stoves are only space heaters and are limited by their total output AND the space they are heating. My house is an old (poorly insulated), two story and there are times (like last week) when I needed to burn a little oil to keep up. The Quad CB1200 is rated for 45,000 BTU max on high, but that is in optimal conditions. My stove runs pretty much constantly when it is this cold.
Think about it this way, when the outside temperature gets that cold, would your furnace/boiler be able to keep up with your thermostat set to 80?

Here is what I get at start up on high . I assume you mean feed rate when you say feed gate if so you I have . I can get the flame to come up but can't keep it there all the time . What your saying about the furnance makes sense I guess my Quad has never had to deal with that kinda cold and not for days .image.jpg image.jpg

Is your clean out rod EXTREMELY easy to pull?

I had a problem similar and my pot floor had dropped a little, because the the nut had came loose that holds the pot floor to the pot..

Next time the stove is off, open the little area below the ash lip (2 screws) , where the igniter is housed. And check the gap between the pot floor. If you can move the bottom of the pot with your finger and its loose, then the nut and bolt needs tightened.

A little gap here will allow most of your air to come in through that slit and lower the flame height dramatically.

(Man your stove is clean :))
2013-01-02_20-32-11_579.jpg 2013-01-02_20-10-11_678.jpg

Also, where is your feed gate set at?

Every new pellet will need an adjustment. Open it a 1/4"-1/2"? Then wait 15 minutes. Open another 1/4"-1/2" and wait 15.

Is it the wing nut I need to tighten ? Feed set is set open 1/2 way

Is it the wing nut I need to tighten ? Feed set is set open 1/2 way
No... The area "Under" the burn pot. My 1st pic shows the gap I am referring to.

Also, if you never adjusted, the gate, then thats your problem.

Every pellet manufacturer has a slightly different length and different density. So the feed rate will change.

Please refer to owners manual. Every new Pellet needs gate adjusted on high to 4"-6" above pot. Open the gate a 1/2" or so and wait 15 min.

Is your clean out rod EXTREMELY easy to pull?

I had a problem similar and my pot floor had dropped a little, because the the nut had came loose that holds the pot floor to the pot..

Next time the stove is off, open the little area below the ash lip (2 screws) , where the igniter is housed. And check the gap between the pot floor. If you can move the bottom of the pot with your finger and its loose, then the nut and bolt needs tightened.

A little gap here will allow most of your air to come in through that slit and lower the flame height dramatically.

(Man your stove is clean :))
View attachment 88199 View attachment 88200

https://www.hearth.com/talk/index.p...oor-drooping-and-whining.102298/#post-1323209

I dealt with this yesterday. After some time, the floor loosened the nut a little. I went to snug it up and and the locknut was loosey goosey, I could turn it with my fingers. I replaced the hardware and its a nice fit again. See last post in recent link above. (OP isn't my stove).

Sorry to sound stupid ! But so I just pull out the ash pan to get to it ? Or is there something else I need to remove ?
I did remove the panel in front of the blower not a lot there but it's all cleaned out and vacuumed maybe a couple hand fulls
Also the pot scraper handle move pretty easy wouldn't say ExTreamly easy but pretty easy

Sorry to sound stupid ! But so I just pull out the ash pan to get to it ? Or is there something else I need to remove ?
I did remove the panel in front of the blower not a lot there but it's all cleaned out and vacuumed maybe a couple hand fulls
Also the pot scraper handle move pretty easy wouldn't say ExTreamly easy but pretty easy

No. The area under the ash lip. Near the clean out rod. Take the 2 screws out and check the gap on the bottom of the pot.

Tighten the bolt if its loose

2013-01-05_23-05-04_557.jpg 2013-01-02_20-31-38_514.jpg

See now I see the before and after picture and it makes sense ! Thank you will be doing that in the am and post my results !

From the pic at startup, looks like your feed is not set properly. After you check the plate at the burn pot start the stove. AFTER the stove has run for about 10-15 min, adjust the feed gate per manual. On startup, the flame in mine is pretty intense and is above the pellet chute. Think you have a two part issue: pot door loose AND feed rate set to low.

I assume an easy to pull burn pot plate means its loose ? Also on the flame should it always stay above the burn pot ? Or fall down in the pot and then come back up again and again ?
I am doing this all on high setting !

I assume an easily to pull but plate means its loose ? Also on the flame should it always stay above the burn pot ? Or fall down in the pot and then come back up again and again ?
I am doing this all on high setting !

Not necessary if the plate is clean (scrapped with a chisel) it should slide without to much resistance you have a spring stopping it from opening and closing with the slightest disturbance in the pot. Look from the cleanout hole and see if theres a gap if its less then the width of dime then your good to do. The flame will go up and down when it drops a bunch of pellets it will go up and then settle down again until the next bunch of pellets drop. On High it will generally be above the burnpot but at different times it will drop below its not a exact science on how many pellets get dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.