CB new boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricV

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Saranac, NY
There was some talk n the CB boiler on another thread and wanted to ask this:

We had an energy fair here 2 months ago and had a good long talk with the guy from Econoburn, very nice folks. We were talking about the CB new boiler and he said to pass the test they had to attach a propane or natural gas line to it to augment the burn. If that is the case then who is going to actually do that? And if that is true then is it really a device that can be compared to others?

Eric

Wow, hard to imagine....I think the test is done either at a lab or witnessed by a lab......

Maybe someone should ask for a copy of the test report.

The standard is "voluntary", but I still think there is some teeth in the actual process and I strongly doubt that the EB guy was correct. As usual, I stand ready to be proven wrong....

A secondary fuel option might be available on the CB E Classic gasifier, but it doesn't require it to burn clean, at least from what I understand.

We have at least one CB E Classic owner around here, and so far, it sounds like a decent boiler.

I have the wood only version of the new CB E-Classic. No propane. Not an issue to get it to burn clean. The key with the new unit I have found is hard wood versus soft and larger pieces of wood versus small. I have played around with different types of wood, moisture content, and size. It can tolerate damp wood but not green. So I have seen it burn smoky like a traditional CB and clean with no smoke. It is how you use it and what you burn from what I can tell - although I could never get my old CB to burn with no smoke unless I left the door open - so the downdraft design is an improvement.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.