CDL Inquiry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mountain man 2

Burning Hunk
Oct 31, 2017
S.C.Pa
I would like to aquire my class b cdl w/hazmat endorsement.
Can anyone give me some idea what is the best n quickest way to achieve this??
It will be in PA.
THANKS

contact your DMV or just look it up there on the web everything you need to know will be listed.

Unless you have access to a class B vehicle for testing purposes it will be easier to find a school that offers the course. Last time I re certified for haz mat (20 years ago) it was a written test at DMV. I think the endorsement is only good for 5 years and you have to re certify.
If you end up the school route I would go for the A licence since it may be about the same cost and give you more licence.
That said, with the number of idiots on the road now, and the "Big bad truck" mentality plus the increased Federal regulations I'm about ready to give mine up.
It's not like it used to be where you could keep a CDL in your wallet just to have it, you must maintain your Medical card, drug testing and Electronic log books are now required for EVERY truck, even the one truck fleets

Last edited:
Unless you have access to a class B vehicle for testing purposes it will be easier to find a school that offers the course. Last time I re certified for haz mat (20 years ago) it was a written test at DMV. I think the endorsement is only good for 5 years and you have to re certify.
If you end up the school route I would go for the A licence since it may be about the same cost and give you more licence.
That said, with the number of idiots on the road now, and the "Big bad truck" mentality plus the increased Federal regulations I'm about ready to give mine up.
It's not like it used to be where you could keep a CDL in your wallet just to have it, you must maintain your Medical card, drug testing and Electronic log books are now required for EVERY truck, even the one truck fleets
My main reason I just wanted a class b n hazmat is I'm giving my 2 weeks notice monday morning. I believe I would likt to drive a l.p. delivery or fuel oil.
Thanks for your input.

My main reason I just wanted a class b n hazmat is I'm giving my 2 weeks notice monday morning. I believe I would likt to drive a l.p. delivery or fuel oil.
Thanks for your input.

Sacrilege! :) ;)

It's been 30 yrs since I used my CDL for work, but I keep it current cause it makes me feel good. I agree it has been a struggle as the Feds make the States jump thru tighter and tighter hoops in the name of security. One of the legacies of the post 9-11 security apparatus growth. I said last year was going to be my last DOT-MED, but I'm pretty stubborn.

As to OP's question, I would try contacting your local school district's Bus Company. They sometimes offer driver training as part of the Job training, and the DMV makes special arrangements to bring a tester onsite (nobody fails those). The Tank and Hazmat used to be "written test endorsements", so you can just study for those. The buses will be automatics and likely no air brakes, but if your State limits you for those then you may need to get that added later.

The hard part of doing the CDL on your own is getting the rig to take the test in.

The professional driver training schools are fast but expensive. From your post, maybe that's what you need.

It's been 30 yrs since I used my CDL for work, but I keep it current cause it makes me feel good. I agree it has been a struggle as the Feds make the States jump thru tighter and tighter hoops in the name of security. One of the legacies of the post 9-11 security apparatus growth. I said last year was going to be my last DOT-MED, but I'm pretty stubborn.

As to OP's question, I would try contacting your local school district's Bus Company. They sometimes offer driver training as part of the Job training, and the DMV makes special arrangements to bring a tester onsite (nobody fails those). The Tank and Hazmat used to be "written test endorsements", so you can just study for those. The buses will be automatics and likely no air brakes, but if your State limits you for those then you may need to get that added later.

The hard part of doing the CDL on your own is getting the rig to take the test in.

The professional driver training schools are fast but expensive. From your post, maybe that's what you need.
Yes...I like the fast part.....but they seem pretty d@mn exspensive for a 4 week or less course....I appreciate everybody's input. Ill ask around locally n see what is available.

There is such a CDL driver shortage that many companies will hire you and train you at their expense. You might have to sign an agreement to work with them for some period of time after getting your CDL but it may be worth it to you.

There is such a CDL driver shortage that many companies will hire you and train you at their expense. You might have to sign an agreement to work with them for some period of time after getting your CDL but it may be worth it to you.
I beleive most companies that do that...run semis...not interested in that or 10 to 12 hour days.Nothin ever simple.....had my license in 83....wish I would have kept them since all the bull crap came into play.

This is exactly the suggestion I was going to make. The school bus contractors around my neck of the woods provide paid training and you'll end up with a class B CDL with air brakes. I believe hazmat is simply a paper (or computer-based) test at the DMV so you can add it to your license at any time but I'd double check. You might be required to sign a document stating that you'll drive school bus for the company for some period of time or have to reimburse the company for training, so I'd check on that too before accepting employment with the company.

In my industry (also transportation) we hire school bus drivers all. the. time. We pay better, but they come over with the necessary license to drive our equipment. If you train and test on a school bus you'll have what is needed to drive public transit (city buses) or over-the-road coaches too before accepting employment with the school bus company.

But I'd still verify all this with your state's DMV just to be certain. CDL is federally controlled but there can be some minor differences between states.