Ceiling Fan to Distribute Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodcutter Tom

Feeling the Heat
Apr 28, 2019
Northern Illinois
I have a smaller house; about 1200 square foot single story ranch with full basement. My stove sits in a corner of the living room. The living room, kitchen, and dining room are mostly an open space. However between the living room and the other two rooms is a header that supports the ceiling. The header measures 14 inches between the living room and the dining room and 12 inches between the living room and the kitchen. This header restricts and holds air in the living room. The warm air from the stove rises and is trapped in the living room. The kitchen and dining room and other parts of the house were cooler.
Over the weekend I installed a ceiling fan in the living room. WOW!! what a difference this has made. By running the fan so that the air flow is pushed upward, the warmth created by the stove now flows into the kitchen and dining room and to other areas of the house. I run it on it's lowest setting so there is not a feeling of cool draft.
I knew that the living room was holding air up by the ceiling, but not until I was on the step ladder installing the fan, did I realize how warm it was up there. It is an 8 foot ceiling but those headers contain the air quite a bit. For anyone with a similar set up, or feels their warm air is not spreading throughout the area they want it, you may want to consider a ceiling fan.

I have two ceiling fans to distribute my heat, works well.

I heat from the basement and rely on the stairwell to get heat to the upper floor. If I use the ceiling fan in the basement it almost stops the heat from going up and the cold air going down and the stove room will get too warm.

Reactions: sixer