Ceiling vents

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

2tall84

Oct 4, 2022
Leeds
Hi guys

I have a log burner and I would like to know if I could put a ceiling vent to the left and right hand side of the chimney breast in the front room to allow heat to go up to my bedroom above and I’ll leave the bedroom door open which is at the top of my stairs and the front room door is at the bottom of the stairs. So it would a rotation from downstairs to upstairs. My hallway is very cold and I have another bedroom and bathroom opposite as well that’s cold but I would be happy with my main bedroom been warm using the heat from the front room. Thanks

It is possible. But it also makes things more dangerous. Not only heat will rise, smoke, CO, and fire will spread to your bedroom too much faster.

I would advise to add a fire damper as most floors are fire barriers, and creating an additional hole in them decreases their function. A fire damper may even be required by code.

It is possible. But it also makes things more dangerous. Not only heat will rise, smoke, CO, and fire will spread to your bedroom too much faster.

I would advise to add a fire damper as most floors are fire barriers, and creating an additional hole in them decreases their function. A fire damper may even be required by code

I live in the uk and I have log burner with a door on it and a flue attached to it and goes out of of my chimney. I’ve had it 4 years and the carbon tester above has never gone off.

Of course, you're typing here. Meaning you did not quietly drift out of life in your sleep.

This is the thing with "tragic accidents" - it always goes well for years. Until it doesn't for one time.

Your structure has been designed with some fire spreading rate in mind. Change that (for the worse) and you'll forever question yourself if something goes wrong what you could have done to avoid the tragic consequences.

But, your life, your choices.