Central boiler smoking a lot

ctharry Posted By ctharry, Jan 11, 2019 at 2:10 PM

Dismiss Notice
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!....and Happy Holidays!
  1. ctharry

ctharry
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 12, 2018
    Loc:
    Michigan
    Hello. I have a new central boiler classic. All is running well with it. Just have one question. When i open the stove door to load it, it smokes quite a bit. Is there anything i can do about that? To maybe lesson the amount of smoke coming out the door when loading. Thanks for the help.

2. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Maybe don't load until it is down to a coal bed, and do it quick? About all I got. Some just smoke regardless of what you do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Eureka

Eureka
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 4, 2018
    Loc:
    NW Wisconsin
    Not really much you can do. The exhaust is designed to capture heat not send it all up the chimney so the smoke bath is the trade off. You can try to catch it on an idle cycle but that’d be hard to do every time.

4. Fred61

Fred61
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    I don't think I've ever seen a sentence with the words "Central Boiler" in it that didn't also have the word "smoke" in it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    salecker, sloeffle, mike van and 2 others like this.
  5. Bad LP

Bad LP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern Maine
    ROFLMAO

salecker and TCaldwell like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    I was gonna say, "so its working normal then", but I like yours better! ;lol

salecker likes this.
  7. warno

warno
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2015
    Loc:
    illinois
    Only way to avoid it is to either install a draft inducer to suck air through the firebox or load when it's burnt down to coals and be quick as it's going to start burning the new wood and creating more smoke.

8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 21, 2013
    Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Is the door facing prevailing winds? I hear that makes a big difference...

9. salecker

salecker
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2010
    Loc:
    Northern Canada
    Sure fire way of getting rid of the smoke issue is get rid of the Central water heater.
    Or keep it and the smoke.
    Not a lot of Central fans in here.Or in my town.There is a big one behind a motel in town smokes out a subdivision because of the winds.Goes through a couple of B trains of wood a winter and i still have to deliver oil to them.It's like driving through China on my way to work.

10. stee6043

stee6043
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2008
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    Silly question here - if your boiler is outside why is the smoke an issue? The indoor boiler users care about smoke primarily because it ends up inside the house. If I had an outdoor boiler I'm not sure I'd care too terribly much if it was smoking during loading. Especially if there was a bunch of wood still in the firebox. Just curious why this would be an issue.

11. Eureka

Eureka
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 4, 2018
    Loc:
    NW Wisconsin
    I'd say its the 'whether you want it or not' smoked sausage cologne that it provides while loading. That coupled with burning and watering eyes.

brenndatomu likes this.
  12. stee6043

stee6043
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2008
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    You figure it's that much smoke? Seems hard to imagine unless he's loading it with a half full firebox? Though what do I know. I loaded my firebox in my boxers...

brenndatomu likes this.
  13. Bad LP

Bad LP
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 28, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Isn't it great!! It was below 0 every morning last weekend. So glad the boiler is in the basement.

14. warno

warno
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 3, 2015
    Loc:
    illinois

Yeah it's definitely that much smoke. I've been burning a small fire in mine to get a coal bed then loading for the batch burn. If I don't load quickly, it definitely starts spilling smoke like crazy. Watery eyes for sure.

15. laynes69

laynes69
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 2, 2006
    Loc:
    Ashland OH
    I know people with OWB's that carry that stench with them. It's about as obnoxious as cigarette smoke...but I do understand there's not much you can do other than hurry up and load..

16. stee6043

stee6043
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Aug 22, 2008
    Loc:
    West Michigan
    If it were my money I'd invest in a cheapo "boiler loading jacket" and some goggles. How badass will you look loading your OWB with full-on swimming/diving goggles? Ha. In all seriousness you're already outside to load the boiler. I bet some low cost PPE and a cheapo sweater/jacket could solve all your stink/vision problems.

brenndatomu likes this.
  17. maple1

maple1
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2011
    Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Smoke smell permeates everything. I don't think an extra coat would help a whole bunch.

Style points aside. :)

brenndatomu likes this.
  18. Fred61

Fred61
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    I played Santa Clause when I worked part time at JJ Newberrys in the 50s. Many of the kids smelled like kerosene.

maple1 and brenndatomu like this.