New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) Central Mass. La Crete finally in stock...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EncoreInMass

Oct 25, 2014
Massachusetts
Bark Unlimited in Shrewsbury.
I have used them for years. I love La Crete pellets.
I ordered 3 pallets (La Cretes are sold as 60 bags/1 metric ton)
So I ordered in september and they said "We'll notify you when they are in stock..."
and I waited...
and it got cold...
So I had to start buying the less than ideal hardwood pellets at Tractor supply...They seemed to have a lot of minerals...
and then I sort of upgraded to the Lingnetics Green Supreme from Home Depot because they were near work and in stock and stored PROPERLY....But the fines were insane and the pellets are very loosley compressed...
SO
A few weeks ago I got the first 2 tons delivered, $973 (I believe it's a $35 delivery fee) Which is $469 per metric ton or $7.82 per bag...
and they Just called with my 3rd Ton on it's way this week...
3rd one is $504 delivered...
The La Cretes burn hot, are tightly compacted and leave a fine white ash...very clean. Just don't go buying them all on me!
I remember first year a metric ton of La Crete was like $5/bag...about $0.50 more than the cheap stuff...The price jump is insane.
There's a place near my work that was selling Northern Warmth Supreme pellets (Yes they are very nice) for $11 A BAG!

Funny that your stove thinks GS are an upgrade from TSC pellets. Mine believe it is a downgrade to go to GS. They both put out about the same amount of heat, but the GS are way more ashy.

Of course I have no idea what is in either of those bags from your area. My local TSC gets MWP's in their bags and the GS around here are northeast blend (and most likely NEWPS).

BTW, the label "hardwood blend" doesn't necessarly mean they are a straight HW of different types. MWPs are a HW/SW blend (although more HW than SW).

Reactions: EncoreInMass
Funny that your stove thinks GS are an upgrade from TSC pellets. Mine believe it is a downgrade to go to GS. They both put out about the same amount of heat, but the GS are way more ashy.

Of course I have no idea what is in either of those bags from your area. My local TSC gets MWP's in their bags and the GS around here are northeast blend (and most likely NEWPS).

BTW, the label "hardwood blend" doesn't necessarly mean they are a straight HW of different types. MWPs are a HW/SW blend (although more HW than SW).
Well the TS were odd...they seemed to throw off a reddish hue in flame and ash...
chemistry tells me it's recycled road flares :)
My stove/augur thus far has done great job with fines. We (Knock on pellets) have never had to vacuum out the feed bin/augur. I think the design on the Ravelli feeds the dusty/fines instead of letting them build up. I also put the ash vac in the drop chute from the front side when clean it to get anything out.

Well the TS were odd...they seemed to throw off a reddish hue in flame and ash...
chemistry tells me it's recycled road flares :)
My stove/augur thus far has done great job with fines. We (Knock on pellets) have never had to vacuum out the feed bin/augur. I think the design on the Ravelli feeds the dusty/fines instead of letting them build up. I also put the ash vac in the drop chute from the front side when clean it to get anything out.

Post a picture of the UPC code (all of the digits, not just the middle ones. I can look them up and maybe tell you what flavor those are.

Lignetics bought a good-sized manufacturer in Wisconsin recently, Marth. I have noticed their pellets have a lot of fines this year. Maybe Lignetics is shipping its Wisconsin pellets out east? At any rate, Marth's pellet quality has declined since the takeover.

Post a picture of the UPC code (all of the digits, not just the middle ones. I can look them up and maybe tell you what flavor those are.
I don't have any of the bags left...I've already dropped them off in the bag recycle at the store...

I’ve been using the GS because I’ve been getting them for an obscenely low price and my stoves don’t seem to care. Maybe because they are both also designed to burn corn and cherry pits. I definitely notice a lot of fines with the GS. This past March I bought 3 tons from Home Depot for $176 a ton that were the Allegheny Hardwood Green Supremes. i Looked up the plant number and I think it was someplace in Penn.

Ken

I’ve been using the GS because I’ve been getting them for an obscenely low price and my stoves don’t seem to care. Maybe because they are both also designed to burn corn and cherry pits. I definitely notice a lot of fines with the GS. This past March I bought 3 tons from Home Depot for $176 a ton that were the Allegheny Hardwood Green Supremes. i Looked up the plant number and I think it was someplace in Penn.

Ken
Yeah...In a pinch it was my cheap option...They're going for $6.60 a bag..$330 for 50 bags...I pay $469 for 50 bags of La Crete...But the ash and heat difference in noticeable and the Mrs. WANTS the HEAT :)

Yeah...In a pinch it was my cheap option...They're going for $6.60 a bag..$330 for 50 bags...I pay $469 for 50 bags of La Crete..:)

They don't give a discount for buying bulk (a ton at a time?). I would expect the bulk price to be around $305, but maybe your source doesn't do that.

.But the ash and heat difference in noticeable and the Mrs. WANTS the HEAT :)

Can't argue with that!

They don't give a discount for buying bulk (a ton at a time?). I would expect the bulk price to be around $305, but maybe your source doesn't do that.

Can't argue with that!
Yes there is a discount but I'm just looking for a week at a time because I didn't know when my La Cretes would be in and pellet bag storage is a premium at my house :)

Reactions: bogieb