Century FW240007 burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noodlestsc

Dec 3, 2007
Long Island, NY
Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a while and have had so many questions already answered.

I installed the small Century FW240007 into an existing masonry FP and it's been working great.

I have a question though for anyone who owns this unit. Being that this firebox is a small unit I know my burn times are limited, but what kind of max burn times does everyone get here? The wood I burn is good and seasoned and I've been experimenting with different split sizes and ways to fully load the box, different air settings (my best setting seems to be burn fully open for a good 20 minutes then close 75%). The max time I can get for a decently warm fire is about 4 hours. Couldn't tell you what temp the stove gets to because I don't have a thermometer, but she secondary burns fine and doesn't look close to overfiring.

Also besides adding the optional blower to this unit, what other ideas do people have to max the heat output of their freestanding unit that sits in a masonry fireplace? I made the decision to put it in the firebox to keep my living room space open, but I know that sacraficed the heat radiating off the top of the unit. (I do have a block off plate, w/ ceramic batt above it.)

Thanks everyone

There is no "other". If you have a blocking plate it is time to get a blower to move that heat out of the fireplace.

You will be amazed at the difference.

I can get overnight, or close to it, when I load the hot stove and completely close the air intake before bed. The secondaries keep it fed and I can restart the fire if I crack the door. When I can't get the fire restarted it starts easily when it's still warm.

For me. the stove works best with ash in the bottom. I've also added a few bricks on top of the secondaries and heat tube to keep the smoke going over the secondaries.

Matt

The hardest problem is the small box. I think the ash partially banks the coals because I have to dig for them in the morning.

Matt

S31105 I've seen them on Ebay. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.