Ceramic Fiber Insulation Blanket PE Baffle Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trevor Tahclep

Burning Hunk
Oct 13, 2020
Quebec, Canada
Has anyone tried making a baffle gasket 1/8 inch thick or slightly more for the secondary air tube going into the PE stainless baffle from a thinned out piece of ceramic fiber insulation blanket ? The piece of ceramic blanket I have is approx. 1 inch thick, these blankets are normally very high temperature rated and burn proof !

Secondary air baffle gasket.png

Last edited:
I purchased ceramic matting off of Flebay and make my own gaskets. Much cheaper then PE's. I've also made a gasket out of 3/8" door gasket that sits around the rear channel, and the baffle sets over it. I mated the ends together and tied the strands together to form a complete rectangle. It's on here in a post somewhere.

Please tell me more about the ceramic baffle gasket you make at home. I do have a new one on hand that I can use as a template, dealers here always have to order them, they never have them in stock.

- Durability, how long does it last ?
- How do you go about it's thickness ?
-Etc., etc., etc.
Thank you ,

I don't see it on ebay anymore, but what I bought was this:
FIBERFRAX CERAMIC FIBER 970-J 1/8 X24 HIGH
TEMP INSULATION SOLD BY THE FT

It lasts about the same as an OEM gasket, maybe 2 seasons if you're careful, but the cost is much cheaper, so no big deal.
Having it on hand makes it nice. I used an original gasket as a template, and keep a template in the roll for the next one to be made.
I'm sure a google search would find some. I orderes a 24" x 12" pc, and you can get a bunch out of that. It was $8.50 + $9.00 shipping = $17.50