chain recomendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce56bb

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2005
Flint Hills of Kansas
i have a husky 51 w/ an 18" bar and have always used the oem chains. the oem chain has a square shoulder which leads to a point. i think it is chisel? i have been told that a chain with a rounded shoulder will not loose its edge as quick. can anyone point me in the right direction.
thanks in advance
bruce

That's right. I'm not sure what they're called these days, but you used to be able to buy "chipper" or "chisel" tooth chain. Whatever they're called now, the "chisel" chain is square, cuts faster and more aggresively but dulls easier. A "chipper" chain has a rounded edge and will stay sharp longer. Most firewood cutters should use chipper chain. If you can keep it out of the dirt and away from other obstacles, you'll get more speed out of a chisel chain.

You'll save money and get exactly what you want if you go to a chainsaw dealerto buy your chain. They can match it up to your saw and the price (I swear) will be lower than a chain you buy at a big box store or hardware store.

Most manufacturers refer to the rounded cutters as "semi-chisel". Lower kickback probability and more forgiving of dirty cutting conditions.

We have used that kind of chain at work before . It will be fine for fire wood cutting.

The woodsman pro chain is very good ! I use the 23RC on my stihl 026 it is truly good chain I used to use stihl chain but I like the woodsman pro better !

Status
Not open for further replies.