chain sparks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was cutting a big dead-standing oak last might and had a PITA time. I saw sparks coming off the cutting chain on a few occasions. I had just sharpened the chain, it had not touched dirt, and the tension was good.

What causes that? Is it between the chain and the blade? Does that mean some grit got in there from the bark?

Was the tree by a dirt road?. I've had that happen when cutting a tree next to a dirt road...the bark holds the road dust (shagbark hickory is brutal that way).

Is the bar worn?. The bar will wear especially where you cut the most...it'll tend to mushroom. If that's the case flat file the burr off (inside and out).

Sure you didn't nick a nail or strand of barbed wire?

Oiler working properly?

woodconvert said:
Is the bar worn?. The bar will wear especially where you cut the most...it'll tend to mushroom. If that's the case flat file the burr off (inside and out).

I'd bet money that is the problem.

Since it's been standing dead for almost a year- it may have accumulated dust/dirt under the loosening bark. It's just in my back yard- not near a dirt road. Oiler was working right. I haven't checked the bar for warp/mushrooming in a bit

Thanks

While we are on this subject of sparks. We have forested acreage and I don`t use my chainsaw when we have had a long period of hot dry weather in the summer. A few years ago some sparking did cause a small brush fire that didn`t flare up until a good hour after I had finished bucking. Fortunately, I hadn`t left the property and was able to extinuish it quickly. Just something for ya all to be aware of :coolcheese:

Well if you hit a nail not only would it spark but you're chain would dull like really fast. After you check the bar hold your chain in a manner where you can look along the drive links on the bottom, rotate around a few times and look for an imperfection or slightly bent one.

If you cut with a chain looser than specs sometimes it can hop and get bent by the drive sprocket. It can happen through normal use easy enough. When I'm bucking I prefer a slightly looser than SOP chain but when I'm harvesting I keep it at recommended specs or tighter.

You try carefully re-bend it or file it down...the chain is still good to go btw. Just so you know I'm no rocket scientist at this I'm going by my own experience.

Sun dried standing dead oaks don't need nails or anything else in then to eat chains and throw sparks. Once the bark falls off they get hard as rocks. I have three I need to bring down right now that I have put off for two years. The things are like trying to chainsaw granite. I will do it when the chain on ole Yaller gets worn down close to the end of its life.

Is there a lot of hunter in the area.Our buy chance are you living on and old war zone.Ive heard of old bullets that could lodge in trees and that could kill your chains as well
Ha BB it that beer. THAT IS BEER NATURL LIGHT Man thats not right You can get picture of beer on her andI cant even get pic of my insert up

I have cut long dead standing maple and (shudder) elm, when it is really dry the saw cuts more dust than chips, you will get sparks... If it continues just turn up the oiler and every once in a while let er rip to clear the bar and chain.

Interesting that you bring this up, Mr. Pants. I have recently gotten a bunch of elm (I'm still twitching as I relive this). Over the past week, I have noticed sparks on probably 7-8 hits with an 8 lb maul.

It was one of those . . . . things that make you go hmmmmm.

I have also noticed this on several different occasions. On different wood types as well. I would not have a problem thinking that with chain speed and basic friction alone could cause this. Especially with some of those older hard as nails oaks....just my opinion :eek:hh:

Hmm- well, to complicate matters- that was just cutting a notch. I dropped the tree last night, and like a dumb $#!* I hung it up. The rope I had broke when I tried to haul it down. Picked up a heavy chain from my dad this morning and will use the come-along on it tonight.

Burd said:
Ha BB it that beer. THAT IS BEER NATURL LIGHT Man thats not right You can get picture of beer on her andI cant even get pic of my insert up

That is three cases inside my stove.

It has been reported that stove MFG's may be going to a new method of measuring firebox size, replacing cubic feet with 12 ounce units. BroB is just ahead of the learning curve.

Adios Pantalones said:
Ya- that's why I'm not walking under it and cutting down the tree holding it up.

Widowmakah for sure

Leaning hung-up trees are scary stuff.

No explanation here. Just adding that I saw a spark the other day as well while cutting on a tree with no nails or anything. I was wondering if something in my saw was loose and the chain had made metal to metal contact. I don't think that was the case. Funny to see this thread. Why the hell are we cutting wood in such heat?

Adios Pantalones said:
Got a chain from my dad, threw it around the tree, attached to the tow hook on my Subaru, and gunned the engine to haul it down. Very satisfying.

Did you yell "Take that Saddam!" when you did it?

Attachments

• saddam.jpg
    saddam.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 248
I think chain saw chain is designed to cut green wood. Dry wood, depending on the species, is a very different animal, so I wouldn't be surprised if it raised hell with your chain. The presence of dirt and/or grit is another distinct possibility in a dead tree. I don't know where it comes from, but it starts to accumulate as soon as the tree dies. Sparks usually mean that you're hitting a rock or some other object harder than the chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.