Chainsaw brands question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pdboilermaker

To me and most everyone I know, there is only really the one brand and it is of course Stihl, however, we have been seeing all of these new to us brands and we would like to know:

1. Are they this brand name or are they badge engineered like the dolmar/mikita thing?
2. Where are they made?
3. Has anyone used one?
4. If yes to 3, how long?
5. If yes to 4, how dependable?

Please answer those questions for the following brands:

Tanaka - as shown in Baileys
Efco- as shown in Baileys
Solo- as shown in Baileys
Univent- as shown in Baileys
powerhorse - as shown in northern tool and supply

you ever heard of Husqvarna? They make the primier chainsaw in my opinion, followed very closely by Stihl which is also very good...

These are the only 2 manufacturer's i would ever consider. But for the occasional wood cutter cutting under an 18 inch diameter, there are plenty of cheaper brands out there that will do the job.

I'd stick with Dolmar/Makita, Stihl and Husqvarna.

Go with whichever has a dealer close to you. All three a comparable in terms of perforamce, reliability and build quality. Anyone who tries to tell you one has a big advantage over the others has probably been blinded by brand loyalty.

Stihl doesnt make a 40cc pro saw at all! solo been getting some good press, and baileys also pick up the efco brand.

Perhaps you have all misunderstood the question. I dont care about Huskies, I know about Huskies, I dont care about Mikita/Dolmer. I simply want to know about the saws that I have listed, they are new names to us and I am just interested.

pdboilermaker said:
Perhaps you have all misunderstood the question. I dont care about Huskies, I know about Huskies, I dont care about Mikita/Dolmer. I simply want to know about the saws that I have listed, they are new names to us and I am just interested.
there not new solo made in germany i have been looking at them they have a full line and a top handle 40 cc saw for 319.00 a great saw best deal on the market right now! the other 2 bailys been carrying for a while now

All the stuff that Bailey's sells is good. Best value? Best power-to-weight in its class? Maybe, maybe not. But they are solid machines.

Solo has been around a long time, albeit with a $hitty dealer network. Their machines have always been quite respectable. I've liked the ones I have run, though I've never owned one.

Efco makes good machines, but changes its name all the time and has the same problem with its dealer network s Solo does. You can get parts through John Deere dealers for the time being, though. The 62cc model is intriguing and I've considered buying one, and the 40cc model is reputed to be a good little homeowner saw.

Tanaka is known for making good 2-stroke equipment. The only one I have owned, a top handle climbing saw, was a decent little machine, but uninspiring. Apparently these little climbers respond very well to cylinder porting, but it is still a plastic cased saw. I sold it because the kill switch was located too close to my middle finger and I'd inadvertently flip it off when I didn't actually want to.

Univent is rebadged Husqvarna, and Bailey's sells this as a way of getting around Husqvarna's No Internet Sales policy. The Univent they sell is actually a 372xp.

Powerhorse (and bumble bee, etc.) are junk Chinese saws shaped kinda like Shindaiwa. I can't fathom why one would buy this sort of machine.

pdboilermaker said:
Where is the origin of manufacture on the effco and the tanaka?
effco is italy, tanaka is a japan company made in the us

[quote ]
Tanaka is known for making good 2-stroke equipment. The only one I have owned, a top handle climbing saw, was a decent little machine, but uninspiring. Apparently these little climbers respond very well to cylinder porting, but it is still a plastic cased saw. I sold it because the kill switch was located too close to my middle finger and I'd inadvertently flip it off when I didn't actually want to.
The only products that I know of/ have used of Tanaka is maple equipment. They make 2 stroke transfer pumps and 2 stroke portable tappers (drills).

the one thing that stands out with the off brands to me is the avalibilty of parts and service is there a local shop or do you have to order parts online if you need service do you have to ship it back or does joes saw shop in town service them your more well known names are more readily avalible with all the above some thing else you may run into it that x brand saw will use the same parts from a husky of stihl (for example only) well in that case you might as well buy a husky or a stihl warrenties are another thing to look at (husqvarna 2 yrs stihl 1 yr) I would look at every aspect before dropping the money

pdboilermaker said:
To me and most everyone I know, there is only really the one brand and it is of course Stihl, however, we have been seeing all of these new to us brands and we would like to know:

1. Are they this brand name or are they badge engineered like the dolmar/mikita thing?
2. Where are they made?
3. Has anyone used one?

Never heard of any of those.

Anyone around here who knows his @$$ from his elbow uses a Stihl or Husqy, and on rare occasion Jonsered.

Bigg_Redd said:
pdboilermaker said:

2. Where are they made?
3. Has anyone used one?

Never heard of any of those.

Anyone around here who knows his @$$ from his elbow uses a Stihl or Husqy, and on rare occasion Jonsered.

The fact Dolmar isn't on this list indicates to me that the people around you don't know their @$$ from their elbows....

I guess the whole chainsaw thing is maybe somewhere where one can maybe get just a bit too subjective.... BTW, if you want to listen to anyone about saws in this place, listen to Computeruser.

Status
Not open for further replies.