Chainsaw Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You should check your tank vent
Next time it starts to act up and quit,as soon as it quit's check your gas cap.Open it up and listen for a sucking sound.Then close it back up and try running the saw again

I have the 310 back after taking it to two shops, the first and the second shop couldn't get it to do what was happening when I was using it so nothing was done.

I am looking for chainsaw sharpener thinking to get oregon 520-120 but not sure its good or not I have read on other forums about its negative points am not sure what to do some source are referring Buffalo tools 520-120 you can read it here https://www.2kreviews.com/best-chainsaw-sharpener/ please share your suggestion on this.

I believe 90% of those bench grinders are all the same design. I’ve seen the same identical machine, with identical castings, from several sources. They are all kinda crappy, but good enough for homeowner use, in fact I use the same.

More importantly, decide how you want to manage your sharpening.

I am a big fan of saving daylight for cutting, and doing my sharpening in the evening, so these bench grinders work great for me. I keep a stock of 4 - 6 chains for each of my saws, and just swap them as needed, often more than once in a full day of cutting. When my stock of spare chains gets low, I plan an evening or two during the week to do some sharpening on one of these bench grinders, in a heated shop with the TV or radio playing. It’s my preferred way of managing this chore.

Others prefer hand sharpening, and doing it all in the field, on the saw. Most who go this route just plan to go over the chain with a hand file between every tank of gas, or every second tank at most. These guys are fastidious about their chains, but they must have more spare daylight hours to waste than I can afford, there’s no way I’m going to sharpen a chain during my few precious hours spared for cutting. These guys might only have one spare chain per saw, which they will need if they hit a rock or a nail, there’s no way you’re bringing a chain back to life with a hand file in the woods after rocking it.

Then there are all the gadgets that are some compromise between these two extremes. Things that clamp on to your bar, and sometimes use a Dremel type tool to do the sharpening. I’ve never seen a pro cutter use anything like this, so I relegate them to “hobbyist gimmicks”. But then there are those who use and love these tools, because they work for their needs.

Pick your preferred management plan, then shop for the tool within your budget that will get it done.

I believe 90% of those bench grinders are all the same design. I’ve seen the same identical machine, with identical castings, from several sources. They are all kinda crappy, but good enough for homeowner use, in fact I use the same.

I am a big fan of saving daylight for cutting, and doing my sharpening in the evening, so these bench grinders work great for me. I keep a stock of 4 - 6 chains for each of my saws, and just swap them as needed, often more than once in a full day of cutting. When my stock of spare chains gets low, I plan an evening or two during the week to do some sharpening on one of these bench grinders, in a heated shop with the TV or radio playing. It’s my preferred way of managing this chore.

Others prefer hand sharpening, and doing it all in the field, on the saw. Most who go this route just plan to go over the chain with a hand file between every tank of gas, or every second tank at most. These guys are fastidious about their chains, but they must have more spare daylight hours to waste than I can afford, there’s no way I’m going to sharpen a chain during my few precious hours spared for cutting. These guys might only have one spare chain per saw, which they will need if they hit a rock or a nail, there’s no way you’re bringing a chain back to life with a hand file in the woods after rocking it.

Then there are all the gadgets that are some compromise between these two extremes. Things that clamp on to your bar, and sometimes use a Dremel type tool to do the sharpening. I’ve never seen a pro cutter use anything like this, so I relegate them to “hobbyist gimmicks”. But then there are those who use and love these tools, because they work for their needs.

Pick your preferred management plan, then shop for the tool within your budget that will get it done.

As you get older , the time you use to sharpen a chain , is a partial rest … usually needed and you do not feel guilty just sitting there..==c

As you get older , the time you use to sharpen a chain , is a partial rest … usually needed and you do not feel guilty just sitting there..==c

I may get there someday, hopefully. [emoji6]

Good points.... I prefer to hand sharpen while at home in my nice garage and have a spare chain handy. I touch up the chain after each day of cutting.

On that note I should order up a few more chains... Nobody has ever said "man I wish I didn't have this spare sharpened chain with me" while out cutting in the woods.

If I’m going out for a serious day of cutting, I carry at least six spare chains, two for each of my three saws. I believe my total stock is somewhere around 25 chains, which gets me thru quite a lot of wood before I need to sit down and spend an evening or two sharpening. They’re really only “excess” if you never use them.

Reactions: TreePointer
Good to see you, @ TreePointer. Been kinda quiet, lately.

I finally pulled the muffler on the 310 and the piston looked good so I decided that all the chips and gunk underneath the muffler would get cleaned out....done. I cleaned up the muffler gasket (metal) and the back of the muffler and then I put it back on.

I took the 310 outside and started it and ran it for five minutes and then I cut up a few rounds of dead pine, everything ran fine. I let it sit for an hour and did a compression test with a Actron Compression tester I bought years ago, after 12 pulls it stopped at 140. I'm not sure what an 11 or 12 year old saw should get for compression, is 140 good?

Usually the 310 starts acting up after 20 minutes of use so tomorrow, I'll find a job for it.

Sounds pretty decent. Did you get a good look at the piston or cylinder when you had the muffler off?

Sounds pretty decent. Did you get a good look at the piston or cylinder when you had the muffler off?
It was in the first paragraph but yes. I did run it today but it did the same chit after about twenty minutes, it would stall or die out.

It was in the first paragraph but yes. I did run it today but it did the same chit after about twenty minutes, it would stall or die out.

Indeed. Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Especially if it only happens after it gets hot for a little while.