Chainsaw sharpening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that the rakers tend to wear down on their own and seldom need filing unless you're dulling the cutters faster than normal. I generally don't touch the rakers until the cutters are about half gone. You can see and feel by how it cuts if the rakers are holding it back. They certainly don't need attention on every sharpening.

thinkxingu said:
Hello There,
Just bought a kit to start sharpening my own chains--the dealer spent some time showing me how to do it right. BUT, I have one question: how often do the rakers have to be filed? I sharpened my chain (RSC) for the first time last night, and it seems as if (using the gauge in the kit) the rakers are fine. Are they every other, should I file 'em a bit for the fun of it?

Thanks!

S

I spot check at every sharpening, (after every tank of gas...) but find the normal pattern is that the rakers only need attention every third or fourth time.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
thinkxingu said:
Hello There,
Just bought a kit to start sharpening my own chains--the dealer spent some time showing me how to do it right. BUT, I have one question: how often do the rakers have to be filed? I sharpened my chain (RSC) for the first time last night, and it seems as if (using the gauge in the kit) the rakers are fine. Are they every other, should I file 'em a bit for the fun of it?

Thanks!

S

I spot check at every sharpening, (after every tank of gas...) but find the normal pattern is that the rakers only need attention every third or fourth time.

Gooserider

I like to put a point back on it just takes a sec. or two and makes for a faster chain. Dont a hudge deal but when your doing them in the shop I go for the extra mile to save a little time in the field.

Probably redundant, but make sure to check Your chains ranker height as well as just putting an edge on Your chain .
You can sharpen a chain “til the cows come home but, if the ranker height is wrong,it won’t cut worth beans.

I'm not embarrassed to admit that I am completely new at this. Can you explain how I would sharpen the rakers and/or what tools I would need? I only have a file for the cutter.

DBoon said:
Probably redundant, but make sure to check Your chains ranker height as well as just putting an edge on Your chain .
You can sharpen a chain “til the cows come home but, if the ranker height is wrong,it won’t cut worth beans.

I'm not embarrassed to admit that I am completely new at this. Can you explain how I would sharpen the rakers and/or what tools I would need? I only have a file for the cutter.

You use a raker file and a gauge to check the height of it. I like to file the shape rounded to a point at the back of the raker. Normally when I file to a shape that I want the height will be right on.

Thanks smokinjay. That will be my next purchase.

For some pretty good information on saw chains and sharpening look around at this site.
http://www.madsens1.com/MNUbarchain.htm
This site was mentioned in another post here the other day. It was new to me. There is a ton of good reading here.

Flatbedford said:
For some pretty good information on saw chains and sharpening look around at this site.
http://www.madsens1.com/MNUbarchain.htm
This site was mentioned in another post here the other day. It was new to me. There is a ton of good reading here.

baileys also has a free carlton chain maintance book it details the chain better then anything I have seen. I am sure there is other places to get it but this one is worth the the pice 1000 times over.lol very good stuff

Free is ALWAYS good. I'll have to check that out.

J $5.00 a chain for a 20" here in muncie.

MMaul said:
J $5.00 a chain for a 20" here in muncie.
thats what i am charging getting some pretty fast chains when you come this way bring that full cheils chain new and we can do some racing stock 361 vs 361 you with a few chain and I'll use one of mine just see if I am any good sharpening..

Lets race!

I think so, if not I have one on my phone.

MMaul said:
I think so, if not I have one on my phone.

cool I have a tulip tree we can throw on the saw buck and there alot of it

DBoon said:

Sorry for the late response . But, this tool should do the trick for You . the one listed is a 7/32 file . they make others depending on Your Chain . You can most likely find the same thing at Your Husqvarna dealer . Different color , same file .
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17049&catID;=

smokinjay said:
Flatbedford said:
baileys also has a free carlton chain maintance book it details the chain better then anything I have seen. I am sure there is other places to get it but this one is worth the the pice 1000 times over.lol very good stuff

Where on the Bailey's website do you get this free book? I could not find it when i looked.

Thanks

gizmos said:
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=80045&catID;=

is this it?

That it is and worth 100 times that!

It is currently on back order. :down:

Flatbedford said:
It is currently on back order. :down:

bummer I got mine last week They may be some at the big box stores

Status
Not open for further replies.