Change logs NG to LP?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Johngodwin30

Dec 15, 2022
Franklin NC
I recently purchased this natural gas fireplace on craigslist. It is stand alone with no venting. $125. I love the way it looks. I do not have natural gas at my home. Would I be able to take out the non vented natural gas logs and replace them with non vented LP logs? Note, the pic is from previous owner. I was thinking I would just put the new logs and new burner in the same metal box.

E200424A-B1AB-43AF-AAB1-7A2B38273B01.png

The LP supplier told me that would work if it was a vintage log. But the nonvented logs cannot have any changes at all to them. I was wondering if anyone had experience removing a burner out of an insert and replacing it with an LP I don’t see why it would have any problems. I was just hoping I could get some experienced advised.

The LP supplier told me that would work if it was a vintage log. But the nonvented logs cannot have any changes at all to them. I was wondering if anyone had experience removing a burner out of an insert and replacing it with an LP I don’t see why it would have any problems. I was just hoping I could get some experienced advised.

note about fuel: Ventless fireplaces are powered by either natural gas (NG) or propane (LG), and while you can shop for models that display either the NG or LG designation, virtually any gas fireplace can be converted from one type of fuel to the other through the installation of a converter. Your plumber can convert any fireplace you choose to the type of gas you use in your home, whether you want a ventless propane fireplace or a ventless natural gas fireplace.
From Bob Villa.com

note about fuel: Ventless fireplaces are powered by either natural gas (NG) or propane (LG), and while you can shop for models that display either the NG or LG designation, virtually any gas fireplace can be converted from one type of fuel to the other through the installation of a converter. Your plumber can convert any fireplace you choose to the type of gas you use in your home, whether you want a ventless propane fireplace or a ventless natural gas fireplace.
From Bob Villa.com
The converters are model specific

You absolutely cannot just change the burner and logs. You need to try to find a conversion kit for that specific model. Also find the manual for the fireplace and pay close attention to all of the warnings about using unvented units. They are not unvented they simply vent into the house

Today I called the manufacturer and they told me I could pull out the burner and logs and replace them with another set. LP burner in Logs. So I feel confident I can do this now the manufacturer told me. I just have to find a nice ventless, LP Millie volt, cordless thermostat, gas log. ;-). Thanks. Any suggestions?

I am assuming that what you bought was everything in the picture, the wood cabinet, vent free fire box, and the burner and logs?
If so, all of that would have been tested and listed and approved for use together. One can not simply swap out parts of a listed system without using similar, listed parts for that specific system. This is dangerous to do with any type of venting, but can be deadly with a ventless system. The only option would be to purchase a Propane burner from the original manufacturer that is approved for that cabinet and firebox.
You absolutely cannot just change the burner and logs. You need to try to find a conversion kit for that specific model. Also find the manual for the fireplace and pay close attention to all of the warnings about using unvented units. They are not unvented they simply vent into the house

Today I called the manufacturer and they told me I could pull out the burner and logs and replace them with another set. LP burner in Logs. So I feel confident I can do this now the manufacturer told me. I just have to find a nice ventless, LP Millie volt, cordless thermostat, gas log. ;-). Thanks. Any suggestions?

Reactions: bholler
My understanding is that the logs and burner is the system. The metal box is for aesthetic looks. I intend to buy an entire log burner system, LP, and not adjust or change The logs or burner in anyway, I only plan to put it into the metal burner box in the fireplace just like the previous one was. All of the safety mechanisms should work perfectly fine since I’m not adjusting the newly purchased logs they will vent as they should if I understand this correctly.

My understanding is that the logs and burner is the system. The metal box is for aesthetic looks. I intend to buy an entire log burner system, LP, and not adjust or change The logs or burner in anyway, I only plan to put it into the metal burner box in the fireplace just like the previous one was. All of the safety mechanisms should work perfectly fine since I’m not adjusting the newly purchased logs they will vent as they should if I understand this correctly.
No this is not like a log set you would put in an open fireplace. That metal box the burner controls logs etc are all a system designed and tested to work together. The only way to convert to lp is with the conversion kit made for that system. If there is one (which there probably is or atleast was.)

Reactions: Lennox65
You should see what size burner you have and buy an LP version that size. I don't know of a manufacturer that will sell a vent free conversion kit. I have been told by a couple of manufacturers that it is illegal to convert them. I don't know that to be true because I haven't seen that actual law but I know I have never seen a conversion kit for a vent free.

Years ago we bought a set of ventless gas logs to put in the fireplace...it came with a few parts to convert from LP to NG...we didn't end up using them very much (thank goodness...we didn't have a CO detector back then!) because they kinda stunk the place up and made the windows wet with condensation...and would give us headaches sometimes too (early stage of CO poisoning!)
No regrets changing over to a proper wood stove in the fireplace!

Reactions: 1kzwoman
What is the manufacturer & model of this unit? If we can find an online manual, the answer will be there. Many “vent free” units cannot be converted, but are sold as either LP or NG burners.

Reactions: bholler