Changing door on older Blaze King stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davester

Mar 10, 2017
S. Oregon
We have an older Blaze King - think it's a KT 302, at a family cabin. It heats the cabin well, has a blower that we like , but the front-swinging door is awkward and not the safest. I'm thinking of converting to a side swinging door with glass. I've been told that the door will smoke up because the older stoves didn't have air wash. Is there a simple mod that can help keep the glass clean. I don't mind some cleaning.
Trying to avoid changing out stoves and making use of something which mostly works well.
cheers - Dave

cabin stove.jpg

No. I was the individual that responded to your inquiry a short time ago. The air enters the firebox in an entirely different location.

BKVP

Actually this post about the door is the first time that I've posted about this stove - you might be confusing me with another person. Anyway, are you saying that there's no way to route some air to help clean the glass. If not, is the glass likely to get just a hazy coating which can be cleaned off easily or are we talking a thick coating that has to be scraped off ? ( assuming the wood is dry that is being burned)

Thanks - Dave

Correct. There is no way to adequately redirect air to create an airwash. The glass would get crusty black and stay that way.