Changing Duravent Pipe on old Whitfield Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian123

Jan 23, 2021
Syracuse NY
Hello Everyone,
I am a new homeowner, and the previous owner left a 1994 Whitfield Pellet Stove in the home. They had this pellet stove against a carpeted wall. Apparently never a problem in 26 years. [see pic attached].

I went out and purchased the same pipes they had on the pellet stove [3" double Duravent pipes]. I purchased the 3" Appliance adapter, sealed it to stove with the Rutland 500 degree silicone seal but just turned and tightened all the other Duravent pipes. After attaching the Appliance adapter, I added the 90 pipe, and then the 45 pipe which attaches to 2- 12" pipes horizontal to the outside and then the horizontal cap. I only siliconed the outside the Duravent pipes, not the inside. Am I required to seal the inside? I see what looks like rope in the inside of each pipe.

I initially had smoke leaving the 45 joint [seen with flashlight] , but sealed all joints and rivets with the silicone on the outside of the pipes that are in the inside of the home. I had an awful smell burning when I started the pellet stove [believed to be the red O-ring gasket RTV inside the 45 joint that was placed inside by the Duravent Company?]. Will that RTV burn off ? I also put tape over the silicone. Overkill?

I was concerned it would start a fire inside the pipe, so I shut the pellet stove off.
Suggestions? I hope this is the right location to post this. Thanks! I appreciate any assistance.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
First off, I would imagine the exhaust path inside is loaded with fly ash. I'd be pulling the draft fan assembly and cleaning the fan blades as well as the fan plenum inside the stove.

Secondly, I don't much care for your install. I would have installed the cleanout Tee OUTSIDE and not inside the room. With the cleanout tee inside you have a potential mess coming, everytime you pull the cleanout cap. My rule of thumb is cleanouts ALWAYS on the exterior, not interior.

You have reduced combustion air flow exiting the unit and exhaust path need to be cleaned. That 'awful burning smell' is trapped ash that has gotten damp, burning off. If I were you, I'd pull all the panels and vacuum the entire interior of the cabinet as well. It's most likely filthy inside (exhaust path) and inside the cabinet.

Wrapping the pipe joints with good quality HVAC foil tap should eliminate any leakage, but the foil tape needs to be SMOOTHLY applied to the joints, not bunched up like yours is.

Additionally, put a surge supressor on the cord for the stove, I suggest a Tripp-Lite wall mount (plugs into the wall outlet) and install a fresh air kit (OAK or FAK or whatever you want to call it). I see the fresh air intake stub but no intake leading outside

Never seen a carpet wall before, new one on me.