Changing out old Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thornton08

Oct 30, 2022
oregon
I have an older Whitfield that is not usable anymore. I have kept this thing running on hopes and dreams the past 3 years. But it is time to get something new. The problem i keep running into is the Whitfield has a 2" exhaust vent, and every new stove I have found or looked at have 3" exhaust vents. The Whitfield is exhausted vertically through my ceiling, through the attic, and then through the roof. All with 2" duravent piping. My question is, is there any adapters to reduce from the new stove to the current piping. I haven't been able to find anything. If not, has anyone else reduced the new stoves down? I ran into the same issue with a new Pellet Insert I installed in the living room, but it didnt matter as much, as i just vented it up through the chimney. With this new stove replacement being a free standing model, I am having a hard time figuring out how to keep the old piping. The house is 3800 sq ft and I currently have 3 pellet stoves.

I did not know they ever made 2" pellet vent, but they do cold air intakes for combustion air. Mine uses 2" cold outside air intake for combustion air supply. Most all stoves require 3" pellet exhaust vent, and I think some even use 4". If you ran a new stove on reduced 2" exhaujst venting, it'll be a large back pressur deal, maybe smoke in the house. I looked at Whitfields in the early '90s, they ran 3" then as I recall.

I’ve never heard of 2” pvp exhaust and I’ve been doing this since 1989ish….air intakes yes….are you %100 sure? I’ll even do some looking up on my own but it sounds a bit odd

Reactions: Mt Bob