Chase Insulation Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pocono53

Sep 23, 2014
Northeast PA
I have a 3 by 6 ft wooded chase (bump out from wall) that I am going to be installing either a Pacific Energy FP30 or Valcourt Mundo in and I have a few question about insulation and venting inside the chase... Probably going to install gravity vents

The chase is 14 feet high and I have an open section that is 8 feet high and 6 feet across. The interior wall of the chase from 8 foot to the ceiling is insulated (this is the area above where the fireplace will sit). I've attached a picture of the chase with some bed stacked in it....

1. Do I also insulate the outside walls of the chase?
2. If I am putting in gravity vents do I insulate the wall above the fireplace at all? I can go as high as 8 feet right now but if I ut the gravity vents higher should I take out the existing insulation?
3. Does the chase itself need to be vented? If so how may vents would you suggest and high high should I put them?
4. Do most people drywall the inside of the chase so it doesn't fall onto fireplace?

Any other advice you all can give me would be great. After almost 3 years of construction and personal setbacks I am finally meeting the installer this weekend so I want this to go as smooth as possible.

Thanks guys

Attachments

• chase.jpg
    chase.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 118
I have never built a chase, so I don't have all your answers. I am assuming that on the top of the chase you will be installing a stainless Chase Cover and the hole opening will be approximately 1/2" large than the pipe. That should be enough to vent the chase. I have installed a lot of chase covers and have not run into any "gravity vents" in the covers. You'll probably be using a storm collar and cap on the pipe. I can't say I have seen any insulation on the inside, but there could be insulation below the fire stop.

You want to build a plywood draft stop at ceiling height with a metal firestop stop installed where the pipe passes through it. Insulate the exterior walls below the draftstop and the top side of the draftstop with unfaced fiberglass. There's no need to drywall the chase, some people do though. Just make sure the insulation can't fall after it's all closed up.

Be sure to use a Stainless chase cover, don't fool with a galvanized cover.

OK thanks for the feedback guys. How about putting an outside vent in the chase up by the firestop? ive heard to do this and not do this....
I would not do this. It will introduce unmetered air that will cause condensation and drafts. It kind of defeats the purpose of the draftstop.