Cheap new Tarm Multi-fuel on Ebay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
I don't know how Craig feels about this kind of thing, but I noticed a brand new Tarm multi-fuel boiler today on Ebay for $4,500 (Buy it Now). The guy has a fairly long story, but looks legitimate. It's missing a few things, like a front door, but otherwise appears to be in great shape. He claims, and it's true, that this particular model retails for about $10,000--if you can find one. Anyway, just type Tarm into the search window and check it out.

The guy on ebay has a story about his unit, allright. But, honestly, god knows what is wrong with it. Further, if you fab your own parts, I'm pretty sure you will lose the UL listing. If it is exactly as he says, you are still looking at 7k with shipping. Spend 3k more, and you get support from Tarm, and a full 20 year warranty, and assurance nothing is missing. I'm afraid I'll pass, I personally don't think it is worth it. Stuff like this is best bought new.

On a side note - when a seller puts something on ebay ans says the classic line - "I know nothing about x, but I'm selling this because I picked it up with a whole bunch of stuff at y," it's a invitation to be suckered. It is another way of saying - "I know I am selling crap, but I can't tell you that, or you won't buy it."

I basically agree with you, HotFlame, which is probably why I didn't glom onto it myself. Tempted me, though. When I inquired about the warranty I got a long-winded defense of his 100% Ebay approval rating, etc. etc., which kind of put me off as well. I doubt Tarm would honor the warranty. I'd be especially worried about the condition of the ceramic gassification chamber. Yes, that's a gassifier with the multi-fuel option to boot (though no oil or gas gun included).

Having said that, however, if it's what he says it is and in the condition he claims, it would be a good deal to the right person. Three grand is still three grand.

I just looked at it and the guy is upfront about what is there, what isn't and just about any issue you can name. We sell stoves obtained the same way. We tell the people up front that to protect the dealer network no manufacturer is going to honor warranty. That is why they save five hundred to a grand per stove.

Nothing personal to the dealers on here but I am still waiting for the first time a dealer resolves an issue with any stove I have bought in the last thirty years anyway. Come to think of it, stove, chainsaw, tractor, car or just about anything else.

Wish I needed a Tarm boiler. Heck I just wish the guy wasn't so far away. I can convince myself I NEED darn near anything that you can throw a log into.

Yeah BB, me too.

But the more I think about what HotFlame said, the more I wonder. I mean if the guy knows nothing about the boiler, how does he know there's not something not so obvious missing (like the blower or the ceramic gassification chamber). Once you take delivery, it's your baby and you're out whatever it takes to get it running. Plus, I assume he tried to sell it back to TarmUSA and they declined. This, from a company that's backordered into February last time I checked.

Eric Johnson said:
Yeah BB, me too.

But the more I think about what HotFlame said, the more I wonder. I mean if the guy knows nothing about the boiler, how does he know there's not something not so obvious missing (like the blower or the ceramic gassification chamber). Once you take delivery, it's your baby and you're out whatever it takes to get it running. Plus, I assume he tried to sell it back to TarmUSA and they declined. This, from a company that's backordered into February last time I checked.

I hear ya. Our advantage is that if it won't work as a unit we sell the parts. In fact the major brand stoves are just like cars. The parts are worth five times what the unit in one piece is worth.

I know a guy who has a snowmobile "sled salvage" business (he also sells outdoor boilers). He told me last summer that he buys new sleds, strips them down and sells the parts for a huge markup over what they were worth as part of a working machine. Probably find the same thing with the spare Tarm parts.

If you are into that kind of thing, Eric, I'd say the ebay unit is worth a second look. If it arrives and the unit is a POS, you can just strip it and try to sell the parts. Bet you could get back at least what you put into it. Of course, as in any business, you assume the risk if you cant sell all the parts.

Seriously, if it was in fact possible to inspect the unit before buying it, there wouldn't be much reason to not give it another look. But taking a seller's word on what is wrong with it is a bad idea.

And I think that's good advice.

What I really meant to say is that you'd probably wind up paying 5x for Tarm parts from the distributor compared to what they cost on the boiler.

Actually, I bought my current boiler on Ebay for about $280 a couple of years ago, so I'm currently batting 1000 when it comes to buying boilers on Ebay, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.