Cheapo fireplace gloves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harley

Minister of Fire
Apr 11, 2006
Ashfield, MA
I'll admit when I do something stupid - I figure it's better to share it rather than someone else make the same mistake.

Had a decent pair of gloves - probably 14-15 years old... never had a problem or a thought about grabbing or moving a really hot log, but they were getting a little worn/compressed, or whatever happens to them, and they were starting to get a little warm when I'd grab a chunk of wood to move it. I was at the hardware store yesterday, and saw fireplace gloves sitting right out front, and on sale... so I got them.

I went to rearrange a split that had rolled a little forward in the stove - I could see some flames dancing around the glove - I didn't think anything about it... thought it was probably just dust, etc. flaring off... no problem... Wrong!

Started feeling heat, and it felt like they were shinking... yanked my hand out - it was actually on fire. Managed to get the left hand glove on and had to yank it off my right hand (it did actually shrink around my fingers - flame was out but still getting warmer).

No real burns or anything on the hand - here's a pic to show how much they actually shrank (shrunk?). I went out and got a decent set of welding gloves today at lunchtime.

Attachments

• Gloves.JPG
    Gloves.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 939
good post , it shows you get what you pay for.

FYI on welding gloves.
Cowhide will shrink
very little if any shrinking with ELK skin gloves.

Sometimes its just not worth the saving of $5.-$10. on going cheap. Glad you ended up with a good pair and your not hurt.

Good post Harley. I recently bought a $10 pair of Wells Lamont fireplace gloves from the Lowes clearance sale. They seem to we working just fine, haven't had them catch of fire ;) but I usually try to manipulate the logs with the poker and rake. Not sure they are made well enough to grab full flaming logs. Next season I'll buy some good welding gloves, but for $10 bucks I'd figure I'd give them a shot.

Just so no one else makes the same mistake, do you know the manufacturer of the glove you bought? Glad you didn't receive any burns.

-Kevin

Actually - I didn't get the name of the glove manufacturer. I'll bring that one back to the hardware store this weekend and let them know... they're neighbors (about a mile), so I'm sure they will pull them. The Sunday ritual is usually loading the trash to go to the dump - on the way, stop for a coffee t the hardware store to see what I might need (it's about the size of my living room, but they have a lot of good stuff packed in there). I'll see if I can update that info.

The good part is... the new gloves passed the test... just juggled around a few good burning splits and held them for a while - the hand didn't get warm at all

picked up a 6 dollar RW pair from menards, they work great so far

I have some red ones that were apparently made for deep fryers etc., I used them for the wood stove and they too shriveled up at the fingers, smoked and almost caught fire.

I retired them and got another pair, not sure the brand but these you can actually move red hot logs and coals around for about 10 seconds before you have to hurriedly get them off.

I checked mine with my laser gun tonight after handling hot wood and coals and they were 210 at the finger tips and smoking when I took them off. (no, I don't do this to try to impress my wife !) %-P

Robbie

Good post Like Roo sometimes you get what you pay for glad to hear you'r all right.

I'm finding the welding gloves I got, Lincoln cowhide, are not flexible and a hassle to put on. I've been using just ordinary leather work gloves. I've instituted a procedure to always wear gloves when opening the door since the day before yesterday when I got burned on the back of the hand when putting a log in.

Anybody know if O.J. had a wood stove?

I guess you can take it from a welder that puts a many a hour on a pair of gloves , my suggestion would be the Tillman 750 LG Top Grain Elk Welding Gloves Come in sm , med , LG , XLG .

Elk skin <not Elk our hearth member > NO shrinkage like cowhide , Great fit , quality built .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tillman-750-LG-...ryZ67045QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Priority mail shows cheaper shipping. There about $15. + tax at a local welding supply house.

Attachments

• Tillman 750.jpg
    Tillman 750.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 483
Am on 2 season with a pair of Horizon $ 8 dollar ones...seem to be good..know that they have kevlar thread for the stitching...

Well Harley another chew toy for Block!

Vintage 181 said:
Well Harley another chew toy for Block!

:lol: :lol: The fingers feel pretty crunchy, and I'm sure they have that nice smokey cowhide taste, but he's not gonna get 'em

Status
Not open for further replies.