Check my figuring for pellet stove chimney and 1 question about outside air venting...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cncpro

Jun 29, 2008
NE Connecticut, USA
http://www.box.net/shared/uztxsym0ws

The link above gets you to a .pdf document showing my plans for a new pellet stove installation.

I would appreciate any constructive criticism and/or error checking because I really don't know what I am doing...

This will be installed in Connecticut.

Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200

Simpson Dura-Vent Type L, 4" pipe.

I intend to burn 100% pellets (4 tons of Hamer's Hot Ones already stacked in the garage)

Oh, and one more question...

Reading online leads me to believe that adding an outside air intake will be a great benefit to the stove. Today at the stove store the salesman was trying pretty hard to convince me I don't need it. He even said he's heard of some cases of the flow reversing and the stove spewing fire out the intake...

I would appreciate hearing some opinions on outside air vents...

Thanks !

So the fire with no outside air would be in your house, never heard of that. I am new at this so maybe some one else has more knowledge.

I'm no expert as I am in the middle of installing my first new pellet stove myself (Castile free-standing), but it appears that you've done your homework and from what your plans show, it looks pretty good to me.

The primary things that come to my mind are to ensure that the manufacturers recommended clearances are adhered to. Even though Simpsons Duravent PelletPro says there is no need for high-heat sealant, I would consider a thin bead around each joint (as I am doing) to ensure a perfectly airtight seal, you'll have to use sealant at the first joint out of the rear of the stove. I am going no more than 15' straight up through my roof with my 3" PelletPro, had you considered going through your soffit and extending it above the roof? That would ensure a good draft and lessen any concerns about any staining on your siding and allow the best ventilation of your stove if you should lose power.

A lot has been said and I've done extensive online research concerning an OAK (outside air kit) and the general consensus is that it really is not necessary, unless you are installing in a mobile home which today are made quite airtight. For my own install, I am going without the OAK for now. I just put my stove in place on my new (homemade) hearth and plugged it in, no pellets, no vents installed, and the combustion blower ran for the expected 18 minutes. I did that to see just how strong the suction was on my 2" air intake underneath my Castile and it was very minimal. Now, we've spent the last 12 years rebuilding what was built as a summer cottage back in 1960 from the exterior sheathing in. All our exterior walls are 2x6 with R-19 and 4 mil plastic as a vapor barrier. The house is also wrapped in Tyvek, all Anderson windows and doors and in general a pretty well insulated and semi-tight home with a total of 2150 sq.ft. heated floor space. There's still some construction to be done, so the house isn't what I would concider "airtight" and perhaps never will be. If this were the case, then I would consider the OAK. But I am going to wait until I've got the stove burned in properly and running with all the windows and doors closed tight to conduct a simple experiment, which will be to turn on the two bathroom vents which are located not 20' away from my stove. If turning these both on effect the flame (proper breathing) of my stove in any way, then I would know that my house would probably be considered airtight enough to warrant the intallation of an OAK. If I then need to install one, it would be quite easy enough to do. According to your plans, you would simply go straight out through the exerior wall so you're install would be easy enough as well.

I don't know what the requirements are for permits in Connecticut, but the safest bet is to speak with your local building inspector and make sure your specs meet their requirements/recommendations.

Best of luck with your install!

Steve

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Steve.

I have spoken with the building department and have a permit. I think I will plot out my blueprint and head down there to have them take a look this week...

EDIT: Re-reading this and I realized I skipped over a question... I was hoping to not have to involve the roof in this project. My vinyl siding is due for replacement anyway so I think I'll try it like this and see how bad it is. I can always increase the height later if necessary.

My original plan was to just go straight out the wall (required removing a window) but then I wanted to take the manual's recommendation of 60" vertical rise to help draft in the event of a power outage. (I think it would be terrifying to wake up and find the house full of smoke during a power outage) I then realized that if I went just a bit higher I could keep all of my windows which brought me to the current plan.

Good deal. As with an OAK, you can see how well the vent works as you have planned it and change it if necessary. You are on the right track. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck with your install!

Steve

My neighbor has a Harman Accentra insert and is pulling outside air from the top of the chimney (not going straight out the back) and is having all sorts of problems. I was looking at the Accentra and went to the local dealer that sold to my neighbor, and asked him about using outside air. He said he's only installed one using the chimney and didn't really recommend it. I went to a Quadrafire dealer, and he said one in a 100 he sells use outside air. I'm going with the Quadrafire Mount Vernon Insert (3 tons of Hamer Hot Ones) and live in Connecticut.

Status
Not open for further replies.