Chemical Smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcleary47

Feb 21, 2012
Gorham, ME
Whenever I run my stove on the highest setting, there's a smell that develops and is almost like a chemical-like smell of something burning off. They did tell me that there would be a smell when I first started it up, but I've put about a ton of pellets through it so far. I only detect the smell when it's running on the highest setting.

I haven't run it that high very often, but enough where I'd think it shouldn't be there?

I'd equate the smell to be similiar to when you fire up a toaster or toaster oven for the first time and it burns off the residues inside.

Any thoughts?

I would say it is fairly normal. I get the same thing on my BigE if I run it on level 5.

May be that on high you are heating up portions of the stove that under the lower settings are not getting hot enough to produce the smell. My stove stunk for about the first ten bags or so.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
When we install a new stove for a customer, we always tell them to burn the stove on high for 1 to 5 hours depending on stove etc to burn off the "new stove smell" we always have them do it in the middle of the day with the windows open and fans on so that it does not over power them and for the most part that takes care of the smell.

When we install a new stove for a customer, we always tell them to burn the stove on high for 1 to 5 hours depending on stove etc to burn off the "new stove smell" we always have them do it in the middle of the day with the windows open and fans on so that it does not over power them and for the most part that takes care of the smell.

And if they have pet birds, I hope you tell them to move them somewhere safe. Otherwise you may get the old 'canary in the coal mine' outcome.

Thanks for the tip, I don't usually turn it up that high but maybe I'll crank it up in the spring to see if I can get it to burn off when I can open up the windows and stuff.

Thanks for the tip, I don't usually turn it up that high but maybe I'll crank it up in the spring to see if I can get it to burn off when I can open up the windows and stuff.
Also, if you lubricate the distribution fan with a spray lube, as opposed to the "oil drop can" that you are supposed to use, then you will smell the oil that you ended up spraying on the fins that never should have been there to begin with. Just another possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.