Chernobyl - Englander 30-NC Style

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Creek-Chub

Hearth Supporter
Nov 13, 2007
Niles, MI
So I took off for work this morning around 5:30. Still had a solid bed of coals in the stove, and the house was a balmy 72 so I left well alone. I get a call from my wife about 7:45 as she is about to put the kids on the bus, and she tells me the top of the stove is "red" and the magnetic thermometer is pegged. After an expletive or so I run home - luckily, I only work about a mile from home - to check it out. By the time I got home the redness was gone and the temp had crept down to a very mild 800 degrees (yikes!). No warping, no funky smells, no major issues, but it was obvious what had happened.

As it turns out, she plopped 6 hefty splits of 3 year old oak onto a nice bed of coals and let her rip. I'm guessing it was somewhere in the 700 plus degree range when she decided to dial things down, and it shot up from there. Lesson learned here, on my part too. Suffice it to say, I don't have 8 cords of 3 year old oak to burn this year, and didn't last year either. I'll need eight or so cords to get through this year, and 90% of that is a mix of cherry, oak, and mulberry split between 18 and 6 months ago. I'll be fine, but today was my first glimpse of just how nuclear well-seasoned hardwood can be. I heard all of the stories, of course. But last year we burned a lot of slab wood and some reasonably well seasoned hardwood, but nothing bone dry. Everything was just at or over about 20% MC. Not green, but not ideal. It was a struggle to get the kind of heat we needed out of the stove, although I'm admittedly asking it to do more than it should. We kept nice and warm, but I certainly didn't have to worry about overfireing the stove. It was a bit of an eye-opening experience, in a good way. I just thought I would share with some of the newer guys that there really, really is a huge performance difference between truly well-seasoned wood, and "decent" wood. Assuming that you're burning the former, pay attention to the stove and enjoy!

So what Mike told me when I was down at the ESW plant is true. "It won't split down the middle BB." :lol:

Just don't make a habit of that. It is what popped a weld in my old stove. After too many times of doing it. Well, that and slugging big splits against the back wall when it was cranking.

Yeah, maybe I should have made it a post about the toughness of the stove, but I was just so struck by the difference in wood. I mean, I spent last winter reading about how you shouldn't overfire the stove, while at the same time I'm trying to crank it over 700 and only succeeding on a handful of occasions. Then the wife happens to load it to the gills with some primo wood and damn near melts the concrete. If nothing else, it gives me some more motivation to bust hump this winter and put away a couple dozen cords. Struggling to keep this beast under 600 is a problem I dearly want to have.

how many sq. ft. is your house creek-chub? I am trying to get an idea of what i will need this winter. But you live in a lot colder environment then me, it might give me a rough idea. My house is ~1700 sq. ft. no insulation in the walls but ceiling is insulated.

Creek-Chub said:
I'm trying to crank it over 700 and only succeeding on a handful of occasions.

Get over that stuff. Or be ready to have a portable welding truck in your front yard like a few owners of un-named premium wood stoves on the forum right now.

If the 30 at 700 can't heat your house, move.

Archer39 said:
how many sq. ft. is your house creek-chub? I am trying to get an idea of what i will need this winter. But you live in a lot colder environment then me, it might give me a rough idea. My house is ~1700 sq. ft. no insulation in the walls but ceiling is insulated.

Here is some info for you.My House is a ranch, about 2100sqft and "was" insulated like yours with 27 leaky windows, on a hill, on a lake, with wind 90% of the time,& leaky doors. My first year of burning (2007/2008)I went through about 5 cords of really really small split 2 year season White Ash.

Last year my second year(2008/2009), I went through 6 cords. About 2 cords of pine and 4 cords of fairly seasoned ash,cherry and well seasoned Red Oak. It was a record cold year here in Michigan.

My Englander model 30 heated my drafty old house like a champ with average temps being 72°-74°

Hows that for a rough idea?

I have NOW replaced all the windows,front door,added some wall insulation, some more ceiling insulation(R-50), added a wood heating addiction ;-P & have many years of seasoned wood.

Creek-Chub said:
So I took off for work this morning around 5:30. Still had a solid bed of coals in the stove, and the house was a balmy 72 so I left well alone. I get a call from my wife about 7:45 as she is about to put the kids on the bus, and she tells me the top of the stove is "red" and the magnetic thermometer is pegged. After an expletive or so I run home - luckily, I only work about a mile from home - to check it out. By the time I got home the redness was gone and the temp had crept down to a very mild 800 degrees (yikes!). No warping, no funky smells, no major issues, but it was obvious what had happened.

As it turns out, she plopped 6 hefty splits of 3 year old oak onto a nice bed of coals and let her rip. I'm guessing it was somewhere in the 700 plus degree range when she decided to dial things down, and it shot up from there. Lesson learned here, on my part too. Suffice it to say, I don't have 8 cords of 3 year old oak to burn this year, and didn't last year either. I'll need eight or so cords to get through this year, and 90% of that is a mix of cherry, oak, and mulberry split between 18 and 6 months ago. I'll be fine, but today was my first glimpse of just how nuclear well-seasoned hardwood can be. I heard all of the stories, of course. But last year we burned a lot of slab wood and some reasonably well seasoned hardwood, but nothing bone dry. Everything was just at or over about 20% MC. Not green, but not ideal. It was a struggle to get the kind of heat we needed out of the stove, although I'm admittedly asking it to do more than it should. We kept nice and warm, but I certainly didn't have to worry about overfireing the stove. It was a bit of an eye-opening experience, in a good way. I just thought I would share with some of the newer guys that there really, really is a huge performance difference between truly well-seasoned wood, and "decent" wood. Assuming that you're burning the former, pay attention to the stove and enjoy!

Well, least you can scratch the "clean stack" item off your to-do list.

I'm still trying to figure out how to keep my house below 80 with my new stove. Lol. Gotta get a new thermometer lost spring while swapping out stoves. Currently 81 with a outside temp of 35. Couldn't imagine loading this beast full. Average burns so far are 6-8 hour range with only 3-4 splits.

Well, least you can scratch the "clean stack" item off your to-do list.
hahhahaah

my wife isn't for chernobyl or the stove

Chernobyl ...LOL thanks for the post.

BrotherBart said:
Creek-Chub said:
I'm trying to crank it over 700 and only succeeding on a handful of occasions.

Get over that stuff. Or be ready to have a portable welding truck in your front yard like a few owners of un-named premium wood stoves on the forum right now.

If the 30 at 700 can't heat your house, move.

Consider me over it! :lol:

Hiram Maxim said:
Archer39 said:

Here is some info for you.My House is a ranch, about 2100sqft and "was" insulated like yours with 27 leaky windows, on a hill, on a lake, with wind 90% of the time,& leaky doors. My first year of burning (2007/2008)I went through about 5 cords of really really small split 2 year season White Ash.

Last year my second year(2008/2009), I went through 6 cords. About 2 cords of pine and 4 cords of fairly seasoned ash,cherry and well seasoned Red Oak. It was a record cold year here in Michigan.

My Englander model 30 heated my drafty old house like a champ with average temps being 72°-74°

Hows that for a rough idea?

I have NOW replaced all the windows,front door,added some wall insulation, some more ceiling insulation(R-50), added a wood heating addiction ;-P & have many years of seasoned wood.

thanks for the info. Our house has all new windows and all the doors are well sealed. I started a little too late in the season for gathering wood so i will be scrounging for dry wood all winter. I have about 3 cords of seasoned oak, maple, and popular. And have about another 4 cords of standing dead stuff that needs to be taken down. I think i will be buying a cord or 2 from a friend to get me though the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.