Cherry ready to burn in 6 months ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
woodchip said:
Some woods can be cut in winter when the sap is down, and drying will start straightaway, and will continue through the summer and by late autumn can be ready to burn.

However, cherry tends to lose it leaves and go into dormancy early, and the sap also starts rising early, and once the sap is rising, you will struggle to get it really dry by the following autumn.

Cherry flowers here as early as late February, this winter is so mild we have sap already rising on some trees round here as the buds are visibly swelling.

So if anyone here was trying to get a wood today for next winter I'd point them to an ash tree or a birch tree.
The sap thing dont amount to a hill of beans, cut it when you can, my green Black Cherry was 18% in 6 months and burnt well, that sir is a fact!

Guys....not looking to start arguements....it does make sense that if the mm is 20% or lower....give it a try. I'm just might be a little short on seasoned wood, and was trying to see what my options are (Wife won't let me purchase). I have plenty of Hickory, Maple, Oak, and Cherry that was split most recent.....some Cherry was about 6 months ago, thats why I'm questioning. Thanks guys

Beer Belly, no problems. Oldspark and I go at each other from time to time but never in a bad way.

Status
Not open for further replies.