Cherry red glow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
I had to make a trek up into central Ontario to the family cottage this past week. Only time I could get a service panel replaced. Anyway I needed to push our small wood stove a “Night Owl” purchased in the early 80’s. 900 sq ft partially insulated at 20 degrees with wind. Anyway I have a lot of poplar for taken cool summer night chill off...but was able to find some 5 year old hard maple that I had cut and split. Decided on the second coldest night to load it and crank the smoke dragon down as tight as I could. I awoke an hour later to the distinct clicking and puffing sound of an old stove working hard. Looked at the side, it was glowing! I cranked it down as hard as I could and it gradually cooled. I forgot that I wasn’t using my trusty Ise Royale at home! May be time to get a new little epa heater for up north!

I've had that happen with the F602. It can take off quickly.

Been there done that. I fell asleep after reloading the wood furnace with a large load of hardwood and didn't close the ash pan. Part of the firebox and at least 3 feet of the pipe was glowing red hot. What a draft it had going, the air was whistling through the air inlet control after I shut the pan. lucky the chimney was clean!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk