child safety-proofing cable railing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
Yet another question about this mountain vacation home ...

It has a deck with an amazing view, but also about a 30ft dropoff to the grade below. The railing is the kind made of wire cables stretched between 6x6 uprights. It is plenty high, but we are a little concerned about momentarily un-attended grandchildren. I think the cables are close enough together that they cannot get in between them, but if they got too loose, perhaps. It also seems plausible that they might climb up them.

Obviously the number one safety measure is to make sure they aren't un-attended out there - but we'd like a little extra insurance. I'm thinking to use hardware cloth (e.g. Amazon product ASIN B0832C486Y). Cut it into sections that fit in between the 6x6 uprights, and attach those sections to the wire cables and/or the 6x6s (heavy staples to the wire posts, cable ties to the wire cables). There's no chance the kids could get through that. They could climb up it though; so perhaps we bend back the top of the hardware cloth 6-8" or so (so it forms an upside-down 'L') and that way even if they did climb up the stuff, they'd then hit an overhanging ledge. I wonder how difficult it would be to bend a 36" by 60" or so piece of hardware cloth so that it's 28" high with an 8" flap ?

Another option is to install plexiglass or. tempered glass panels between the 6x6s. I think plexiglass is a non-starter, because it becomes scratched pretty easily and looks like crap. Tempered glass is insanely expensive. And given enough un-attended time, they could still get into trouble.

Also, this will be a temporary solution, since in 2-3 years the grandchildren will be old enough to be taught not to try to get over the railing.

Is it possible to hang bell(s) from the wires?
Hard to avoid climbing kiddos, but being warned that the wires move might help?

Sagging (and being able to go between the) wires can possibly be avoided by putting a rod or 2x4 in the middle between posts, weaving it in front of one, behind the next, in front of the next wire. This add length to (and thus tensions) the wires without changing their height (i.e. no sagging = larger holes). You can also notch the rod/2x4 to guide the wires in a particular height to keep them in the right separation.

My first response was: voltage. But that'd not be pretty...

I applaud the thinking about potential hazards; accidents do happen (my kids: "it's not my fault, it was an accident"...). But they are avoidable by decreasing the probability of them happening before anything happens. And that's what you are doing. Good job.

My "bells" obviously don't qualify for such a categorization. My "larger gap due to sagging" solution is closer, though possibly not ideal either.
I'm not sure how stiff your cloth is, and whether it would avoid falling through either.

Friend did the wires himself on a Maine lake house. He said there's a tool to do the tension. The required gap should be listed in code.

We have an OBX house. Surprisingly, many people have decks replaced with built-in benches. Code now is that the top of the railing from the bench has to be higher than when originally built. See many replaced deck benches not to code.

I asked the person doing my decks about getting rid of the corner benches on my railing. He said that he recommends getting rid of them. More versatility on deck. New benches would have to be to code, and he doesn't like how it looks.

Last edited:
Oh, I got it. Electrify the wires!

Reactions: stoveliker
Is it possible to hang bell(s) from the wires?
Great idea, but I think viable only as an adjunct to whatever else we do.
Sagging (and being able to go between the) wires can possibly be avoided by putting a rod or 2x4 in the middle between posts...
We thought of that, but probably not foolproof enough for granny, and probably not much less trouble than the hardware cloth.
My first response was: voltage. But that'd not be pretty...
Thought of that too - granny not amused.
I'm not sure how stiff your cloth is, and whether it would avoid falling through either.
It's pretty rigid stuff. Probably get 18 gauge. Especially if we fasten it enough.
Friend did the wires himself on a Maine lake house.
Yeah, I did the wires myself on our main home. Not as close together as the vacation house, but not a very bad drop either. I initially tightened 'em up too much, and believe it or not, bent the 6x6 posts (which run all the way from piers in the ground and support the deck itself as well); checked a few months later and they were a good inch out of plumb !
Oh, I got it. Electrify the wires!
See above :). In a similar vein, I suggested cutting off the top horizontal wire of the hardware cloth, so if they did climb to the top, little 1/2" spikes would stop them in their tracks; figure a nasty poke in the finger is better than a 30ft fall. Again, granny not amused.

Wrap with barbed wire.

Maybe attach some agricultural goat panels rather than hardware cloth.
1651756669986.png

You might also be able to attach temporarily something like the electric fencing stakes below to the cables to prevent spreading. You'd probably have to build something out of wood or pvc pipe with slits cut in it at your cable spacing distance.
1651756791021.png

Zip tie some bird netting? maybe not super strong but maybe enough for a couple years till the kids get bigger.

But the goat panels invite climbing up even more?
As far as I understood it's 2 issues: falling through gaps of slacking cables, and climbing up/over the thing.

As far as I understood it's 2 issues: falling through gaps of slacking cables, and climbing up/over the thing.
True. I'm kind of liking the bird netting idea. Not quite as effective a deterrent as shocking but maybe painful enough to dissuade further attempts.

Reactions: stoveliker
Yes, I agree. Netting that has a mesh size that does not allow for child-feet to step into them (and is tightly enough suspended so it won't fold over the cables, effectively allowing to step on the cables) might work.

That is more or less the same as the cloth Rusty proposed. - but it allows to see through, which is the nice part of being on a deck (vs in a room) imo.

Reactions: semipro
If your cables are slack it was built wrong but climbing was an issue and they are not being approved by some BI’s.
I’ve done a few of the cable systems and did guide a few people on doing them.

My cables are just as tight today as they were when I installed them.

Goat panels appear to simply be hardware cloth with larger spacing between horizontal and vertical wires, correct ?
Their little fingers can as easily go into the 1/2" holes of typical hardware cloth as the goat cloth; only 1/4" grade would prevent that, but seriously impede the view.
Correct.

True. I'm kind of liking the bird netting idea. Not quite as effective a deterrent as shocking but maybe painful enough to dissuade further attempts.
Painful ? What is this bird netting exactly ? Can you provide a link ?

I used something like this but is was square and probably heavier than this. But it was cheap. Zip tie to cables. It’s not the prettiest…..

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

Is there a reason that you guy think the plastic options would be better than the hardware cloth, or just a bit cheaper /

Is there a reason that you guy think the plastic options would be better than the hardware cloth, or just a bit cheaper /
Cheaper, easier, less obtrusive.

I had plastic up for 8 years. Was as good as the day I put it up. Funny thing is I plan on installing steel wires